Pregnancy is a time of global mental and physical changes for a woman expecting a baby. It does not matter if this is the first pregnancy or not: the world of family relations is being rebuilt, the emotional sphere of the expectant mother is being transformed, and, naturally, the female body is changing. It truly transforms amazingly. It becomes the center of development and the birth of a new human life. In order for all these dynamic processes to go smoothly, you need to take care of your body for all nine months.
Today, there are many interesting and useful options for physical activities during pregnancy: from perinatal yoga and Pilates to aqua gymnastics in the pool under the guidance of a specialist. But often the easiest way to support and strengthen your body is to do exercises for pregnant women at home. Regular performance of a special set of exercises for expectant mothers will bring undoubted benefits to the shape of the body, and the well-being, and mood of the woman.
Features of physical activity during pregnancy
Pregnancyis a natural biological process, but its course largely depends on the behavior of a modern woman. It is worth remembering that a strong and enduring body is likely to cope with the stresses of pregnancy and childbirth more easily than a sluggish and untrained body. Even if exercise was not part of a woman's lifestyle before pregnancy, the new state is a great incentive to start taking care of yourself.
During pregnancy, the female body experiences tremendous stress. Therefore, physical activity should be as thoughtful and moderate as possible. It is worth focusing on exercises for pregnant women, which help to normalize blood circulation, improve posture and elasticity of all muscle groups. It is also necessary to pay special attention to breathing and relaxation techniques. Each period (trimester) of pregnancy has its own specifics for performing home gymnastics exercises.
The beginning of a big change: the internal organs begin to shift a little, giving way to a growing uterus. For the present, imperceptibly to others, the tummy is rounded. Hormonal changes begin, which means that the mood of the pregnant woman also changes.
To comfortably survive the changes that have begun, it is worth reducing your usual physical activity. You need to give your body and mind time to adjust. Doctors do not advise actively engaging in physical exercises in the 1st trimester, as they believe that in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy there is a risk of herspontaneous interruption. Power and extreme sports will have to be postponed for a while after the birth of the child. They can be replaced with special breathing exercises for pregnant women and a light warm-up. Gymnastics of the first trimester will saturate the blood with oxygen and help to cope, for example, with the disturbing symptoms of early toxicosis.
Usually, by this time, the expectant mother is already used to the new state. If you were tormented by toxicosis, then its symptoms are in the past, and the tummy has not yet reached a large size. If exercise hasn't entered the life of a pregnant woman yet, now is the perfect time to start exercising regularly.
Exercise for pregnant women 2 trimesters are aimed at strengthening the muscles of the back, training the cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
The final period of pregnancy. The weight of the baby is growing, the load on all organs and systems of the pregnant woman is increasing, and active preparations for childbirth are underway.
Exercise for pregnant women in the 3rd trimester becomes less intense, with an emphasis on breathing techniques and stretching. Much attention should be paid to preparing the pelvic floor muscles for childbirth.
Why do pregnant women need gymnastics?
With a rational distribution of physical exercises, pregnancy is more favorable for both the woman and the child growing in the womb. Physical fitness helps the body copewith increasing load and affects the birth of the baby. It is smoother and less painful.
- Regular gymnastics strengthens the body, makes it more flexible and mobile.
- Exercise improves the condition of the joints, muscles and skin, which have an increased load during this period.
- The abdominal muscles become longer and more elastic. The risk of stretch marks on the abdomen is reduced, and after childbirth, the woman returns to her pre-pregnant body shape more quickly.
- During exercise, blood circulation increases. The work of the heart and blood vessels is activated, which ensures the full delivery of oxygen and nutrients for the development and growth of the child and the timely removal of metabolic products.
- Improves metabolism and the digestive system.
- The muscles of the pelvic floor are strengthened, congestion in the pelvis and lower extremities is eliminated.
- Internal bodily space is increased by stretching the spine and increasing the surface area of the abdomen. The baby develops in more free conditions.
- Perineal exercises improve tissue elasticity and are a preventive measure against ruptured labor.
- Respiratory gymnastics for pregnant women trains the entire respiratory system, qualitatively improving its functions, and prepares a woman for childbirth. Increases the amount of oxygen available to mother and baby.
- The hormonal balance that occurs during and after gymnastics contributes tomaintaining body tone and good mood. It is known that the condition of the child directly depends on the physical and emotional status of the mother.
- Antenatal exercises are the basis for a faster physical recovery of a woman after childbirth.
Rules for doing home gymnastics
- Before starting classes, you should consult a doctor about possible contraindications and nuances of doing home exercises for pregnant women.
- Exercise is selected strictly depending on the duration of pregnancy.
- The complex is performed daily or every other day, depending on how you feel.
- The duration of the gymnastic complex can vary from 30 to 60 minutes.
- Gymnastics clothes should be comfortable and not restrictive.
- The study room should be well ventilated. A flat area or lawn is an ideal place for outdoor gymnastics.
- Practice gymnastics 2 hours before or after meals.
- All exercises must be performed at a slow pace, without jerks and sudden movements.
- If you feel worse, you need to stop the exercise and rest. If you continue to feel unwell, seek medical attention.
Absolute contraindications for exercise
- Threatened miscarriage.
- Severe toxicosis.
- Pain in the lower abdomen.
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases.
- The body temperature is higher37 degrees Celsius.
- Low placenta.
- Threatened preterm birth.
Universal home workout
To maintain good he alth, a positive emotional background and create the best conditions for the development of the child, you should start doing daily home exercises with a simple warm-up.
Warming up will help warm up the muscles, strengthen the joints and normalize blood circulation. As pregnancy develops, exercises recommended for a certain period can be added to it. Each exercise must be repeated 10 times, observing symmetry.
An approximate set of exercises for pregnant women at home (warm-up)
- Alternatively rubbing the feet. In a sitting position with crossed legs (in Turkish or in the “lotus” position), actively massage the inner surface of the foot with your fingers and the edge of the palm for 1 minute.
- Rubbing the palms for 1 minute. Starting position - sitting, as in the previous exercise. Vigorously rub your fingers in a circular motion, as if you need to put a ring on each finger. Rub each palm in the same way.
- Turns of the head. Gently turn your head from side to side, trying to look over your shoulder. Then perform head tilts to the sides, down and back, trying to gently stretch the side, back and front of the neck. Shoulders during this exercise should be lowered and relaxed. At the end, you need to keep your head lowered to your chest, feelingher heaviness. Then gently fold it back and stay in this position for a while.
- Starting position - standing, feet shoulder-width apart or slightly narrower, hands on hips. Slowly roll from heel to toe and back, leaning on a full foot. Next, perform 10 steps forward and backward on the heels, then on the toes, then on the inside and on the outside of the foot.
- Starting position - standing, feet shoulder-width apart or slightly narrower, hands on hips or extended to the sides, parallel to the floor, to maintain balance. Raise and bend one leg at the knee in front of the body at a right angle and start rotating the ankle first clockwise, then counterclockwise.
- From the same starting position, holding the thigh at a right angle relative to the body, start rotating the lower leg first clockwise, then counterclockwise.
- Without changing position, in a circular motion, take the thigh to the side and return to its place. In the first part of the task, the hip joint seems to open, in the second it closes.
- Feet shoulder-width apart or slightly wider, hands resting loosely on hips. Slightly bend your knees and start swinging your hips to the left and right, then back and forth, and finally draw a figure eight with your hips.
- Starting position: feet shoulder-width apart or slightly narrower. Connect the palms in front of the chest (“prayer” gesture) or freely place the hands on the hips. Lock the hips, start rotating the upper body clockwise, then counterclockwise.
Supplementing the described warm-up complex with the necessary exercises, you cancreate your own ideal home gymnastics that meets all the needs and wishes of a pregnant woman. So, a set of exercises for pregnant women in the 2nd trimester may include: warm-up, simple strength exercises and stretching. It is also desirable that it be aimed at training the respiratory system. At home, exercises for pregnant women of the 3rd trimester are recommended to be performed by reducing the strength part and increasing the time for mastering breathing and relaxation practices. A few days after the start of home gymnastics, a positive effect will be noticeable: bodily mobility will increase and mood will improve.