In the first month of life, the parents of a newborn have a hard time. The child sleeps, eats and is naughty regularly. Mom almost entirely belongs to the child and obeys all his desires. As they grow older, you should lead the baby to a routine that promotes full development and gives some peace and freedom to parents.
A three-month-old baby is very different from a newborn. A kid at this age already knows how to:
- Hold your head well. If you put a baby at the age of three months on his tummy, then he will easily lift it up and look around.
- Controls his legs and arms. Reacts to sounds, plays with rattles, puts them in his mouth.
- If you take the baby by the handles, he will try to get up. Despite this, it is quite early to start baby sitting at this age.
- Most babies already know how to roll over from back to stomach and back.
- Almost all babies at the age of 3 months cansmile and laugh.
It should be noted that parents will have to pay maximum attention to children at this age. You can not leave the crumbs even for a short time. Since an inquisitive baby can make several sharp turns and fall to the floor.
A 3-month-old formula-fed and breastfed routine is very important. At this point, the development of vision and hearing is actively taking place. In order for these organs to develop fully, you can use a variety of rattles and toys with melodies. It is best to purchase a baby mobile that can be hung over the crib. Children are happy to look at such objects, and also discover many new and unknown things.
Sample daily routine for a 3 month old baby
Let's consider the first version of the regimen for the baby of this age category.
- 6:00. Waking up and morning feeding.
- 6:30–7:30. Carrying out hygiene procedures. Games with baby.
- 7:30–9:30. Sleep.
- 9:30. Feeding.
- 9:30–11:00. Games and activities.
- 11:00–13:00. Sleep outdoors (walk).
- 13:00. Feeding.
- 13:00–14:30. Games and activities.
- 14:30–16:30. Walk in the fresh air. It is advisable that the baby sleep during this period of time.
- 16:30. Feeding.
- 16:30–17:30. Games and activities with the baby.
- 17:30–19:00. Sleep.
- 19:30–20:00. water procedures. Changing into sleepwear.
- 20:00. Feeding.
- 20:30–06:00. Night sleep.
- 23:30. Nightfeeding.
- 02:00 or 03:00. Night feeding.
Now let's move on to the consideration of the daily routine of a 3-month-old baby according to the second option.
- 8:00. Waking up and morning feeding.
- 8:30–9:30. Carrying out hygiene procedures. Games with baby.
- 9:30–10:30. Sleep.
- 10:30. Feeding.
- 10:30–12:30. Games and activities.
- 12:30–14:30. Sleep outdoors (walk).
- 14:30. Feeding.
- 14:30–16:00. Games and activities.
- 16:00–18:00. Walk in the fresh air. It is advisable that the baby sleep at this time.
- 18:00. Feeding.
- 18:00–19:00. Games and activities with the baby.
- 19:00–20:30. Sleep.
- 20:30–21:00. water procedures. Changing into sleepwear.
- 21:00. Feeding.
- 21:30–08:00. Night sleep.
- 23:30. Night feeding.
- 03:00 or 04:00. Night feeding.
The above daily routines for a 3-month-old baby are usually set on their own. You can easily verify this if you fix the schedule for several days, that is, write down everything that the child does at a certain time, day after day. Enough monitoring for 3 days to draw conclusions.
Children at 3 months no longer sleep every time after feeding, like newborns. The child needs to move, he is interested in learning about the world around him. But, it should be remembered that he is still not strong enough, and, therefore, cannot be in a state of wakefulness for a long time.time. A longer sleep in comparison with the active period of the crumbs is the absolute norm. After an hour of playing with mommy, the baby can sleep for two hours. Parents should not be alarmed, let alone frightened.
Don't panic if baby's routine is a little different from the previous day. Sometimes the baby can sleep 4 times for 2 hours. And sometimes he can fall asleep for 3 hours at lunchtime, and in the evening he will have only 1.5 hours to sleep. All these options are the norm and depend on the impressions and emotions that the baby receives during the day.
Mommy can independently adjust the approximate daily routine of a 3-month-old baby. Komarovsky supports changes in the baby's regimen that parents will implement. Moreover, this is considered normal practice, as the periods of wakefulness in relation to sleep will only increase as you grow older.
Optimal sleep conditions
Parents should make sure their little ones get enough sleep.
To do this:
- Pre-ventilate the room where the baby sleeps.
- Constantly monitor the level of humidity in the room. It is especially necessary to do this in the cold season, when the air dries out due to the operation of heating devices. Modern humidifiers or hanging wet towels on heating radiators can solve this problem.
- Ensure silence. In the first months of life, the nervous system of children is not yet able to ignore extraneous sounds. Therefore, it makes no sense to accustom the baby to noise. Such an approach would only hinder him.get enough sleep.
- If a child is worried about discomfort in the tummy due to colic or gas, then before going to bed you should give him a tummy massage. Or give a special tool that fixes this problem for a while.
- If your baby is restless and constantly waking himself up due to sudden movements of his arms, then perhaps you should try loose swaddling.
To make the baby sleep well, you can use daily rituals that can set the baby up for peace and tranquility. Mommy can sing a lullaby or read a bedtime story. Over time, the baby will get used to certain actions and it will be easier to tune in to sleep.
Main baby sleep problems
Parents may experience:
- The baby began to sleep very little during the day, so the daily routine of a 3-month-old baby on artificial or breastfeeding is very different from the schedule that the baby adhered to before.
- The baby began to react to any stimuli.
- Very often wakes up in the middle of the night.
- Doesn't want to get off handles while laying down.
- Baby wants breast or pacifier every time he wakes up.
- Refuses to sleep in his crib.
- A baby can only fully sleep in a moving stroller.
The routine of a 3-month-old breastfed baby does not differ significantly from the daily routine of the crumbs who eat formula. On average, babies in this age group require 2 to 4 feedings per night. It should be noted that babiesformula eaters are asked to eat at night much less frequently.
Baby is already able to eat more breast milk than before. And this means that he can stay full for a longer time. Moreover, the intervals between feedings are significantly increased, while the duration of feeding, on the contrary, is reduced.
Feeding schedule at 3 months is still based on on-demand. Most likely, your baby will be asking for food every 2-3 hours during the daytime and every 3-4 hours at night for some time.
If a three-month-old baby wakes up very often in the middle of the night, then you should not immediately resort to the introduction of early complementary foods. Alas, this practice has become quite common. This won't solve the problem! Moreover, children in this age group are not yet ready for adult food, so the main source of nutrition for them now is breast milk or newborn formula.
Hygiene procedures are carried out as soon as the baby woke up. The baby's face is wiped with a cotton pad dipped in warm water. First clean the eyes, then move on to the nose, ears, cheeks and neck. Do not forget about the skin behind the ears, this area must be kept clean. This will avoid the occurrence of chafing. Moreover, milk often flows behind the ears during feedings. Therefore, it is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of this area regularly.
It is customary to bathe a baby in the evening, when all family members are in the gathering. Bathethe child should be in a baby bath with an inclination or with a special hammock. Some parents bathe their baby using a neck circle.
Not everyone supports this method, but it is believed that this device allows the child to be in the water without additional help from adults.
Every time you change a diaper, you need to rinse the inguinal area of the crumbs under running water. Then you should gently blot with a terry towel and dry all the folds. As a completion of the procedure, you need to smear the skin with a diaper cream. This procedure will help to avoid skin diaper rash and irritation.
The daily routine of a 3-month-old baby includes the obligatory presence in the fresh air. One of the tasks of parents is the proper organization of daily walks from the first day of the baby's life. With a three-month-old child, you can already take a walk not only in the yard, but also in the park and square. In the summer time of the day, the list of places is replenished. Time can be spent at sea, in the country, in the forest, near the river, and so on.
Walking options at different times of the year:
- Winter is no reason to stay at home. Walking a child in cold weather is just as necessary as in warm weather. The sun's rays in winter allow the baby's body to produce vitamin D. The frequency of walks should be changed depending on the air temperature. On average, outdoor activities should last between 30 minutes and 1.5 hours twice a day.
- In autumn and spring, it is better to choose afternoon walks. Since it is damp during this period, part of the morning walks can be replaced with “balcony” ones or their duration can be reduced to half an hour.
- In the warm season, the child should walk as often as possible. If you have the opportunity, then you can walk with your child for 2-3 hours twice a day. It is especially useful to slightly open the visor of the stroller for 10-20 minutes in order for the baby to soak up the sun. But do not forget that direct sunlight can have a negative effect on the delicate skin of the baby. Therefore, while walking, make sure that the baby is in the shade.
Massage and gymnastics
Physical activity for the he alth of the baby is the main component. Gymnastics helps the harmonious development of the child. Moreover, it helps to establish closer contact with mommy.
Let's consider the main exercises that are recommended to be carried out regularly with the baby:
- The arms of the baby are raised to the up position, then parted and crossed in the chest area.
- The legs at the knees are spread apart, and then returned to their original position.
- At the end, the baby is laid out on the tummy.
This set of exercises helps prevent hip dislocation. In addition, such gymnastics helps to improve blood circulation and digestive processes. At the age of three months, you can already lightly rub the arms and legs of the crumbs, warming them up.
Massagea baby can be carried out by a mother or a specialist. Such procedures help to relieve excess stress. In addition, gymnastics helps to relieve excess tone, which is often found in children under the age of one year.
Massage is a stroking of the feet, hands, back, tummy, arms and legs. Before starting, mom should lubricate her hands with oil or baby cream. The duration of one procedure is about 15 minutes. Give preference to air baths combined with massage. Moreover, all massage specialists first completely undress the baby, and then proceed to the procedure.
As mentioned above, the regimen of a 3-month-old bottle-fed and breast-fed baby is almost the same. In order to form the correct daily routine for the crumbs, you should:
- Watch his behavior to understand what mode his body adheres to. Pay special attention to activity. Since in some children it manifests itself during the day, and in the rest in the evening. When scheduling, be sure to consider these features.
- It is best to start establishing a baby's regimen with feedings. Moreover, timely feeding by the hour is extremely beneficial to the child's body. Getting used to eating at the same time, the body starts the processes of secretion of gastric juice and saliva. Thanks to such processes, digestion and well-being improve.
- Some kids manage to develop a regimen on their own. Thanks to the “internal clock”, feeding times are set andsleep. Other babies, on the contrary, find it very difficult to get used to a certain routine, they confuse night with day. And the life of parents becomes similar to chaos. Unfortunately, the formation of the schedule can take a long time, sometimes it takes about a year. Adults need to be patient during this period. Sooner or later you will realize that your efforts were not in vain.
A well-designed daily routine for a 3-month-old baby allows parents to conveniently plan their day, and the baby to fully develop. Accept the fact that regimen planning is not only a requirement of modern pediatricians, but also a necessity for both the child and his mom and dad.