Thrush in infants is a common disease that brings concern to both mother and baby. This is a fungal infection caused by fungi of the genus Candida, and you can often find another name for this disease - oral candidiasis. Parents often miss the onset of the disease without giving it due importance, and today we will figure out how to recognize it. Candidiasis is quite insidious, so you need to know and be able to distinguish the symptoms of a fungal infection. In this article, you can visually familiarize yourself with photographic materials that will help you visually identify thrush in a baby's mouth from a photo.
Diagnosis of disease
You can diagnose thrush immediately by seeing the baby's oral cavity during examination. Mom, due to inexperience, may miss the onset of the disease, but the pediatrician will accurately diagnose, because there are certain signs of this disease, and the doctor knows what thrush looks like in infants. If the doctor has any doubts, then a smear is taken and an analysis is done. During the analysis, the fungus is sown in the laboratory. Based on the result, it is possible to identify the type of fungus and determine its sensitivity to antifungal agents. Depending on the stage of candidiasis,symptoms may be less pronounced or, conversely, very pronounced. Let's deal with the symptoms of the disease so that the mother is informed and can understand this issue at least a little.
Symptoms of thrush in infants
If your baby began to cry for no reason, refuse to breastfeed, then you should immediately suspect the onset of the disease. The baby does not want to eat, does not take a pacifier, a pacifier, because it becomes painful for him to suck. The child may lose weight due to refusal to eat. It becomes whiny, restless, the baby's sleep worsens. Due to the onset of a fungal infection in the baby's mouth, the mother may develop cracks in the nipples, the fungus in this case affects the nipples, and they must be treated. They are treated in the same way as the baby's oral cavity. We will move on to treatment a little later. And now let's figure out how the symptoms of thrush appear in the baby's mouth:
- At first, only reddened spots can be found in the baby, they can be on the tongue or on the cheeks, on the inside of the lips and on the gums.
- After a few days, these areas are already covered with a white coating resembling cottage cheese.
- If you do not start treatment, the areas with plaque become large in size, grow and can change their color to yellow and beige-gray.
- In the future, the fungus can affect the entire mucous membrane of the baby's mouth.
Depending on the intensity of the main symptoms of the disease, there are three stages of candidiasis.
Three stages of thrush
- Easyor the initial stage of a fungal infection. At the initial stage of the disease, the baby's anxiety is insignificant and the disease is difficult to determine. The mild stage is characterized by the presence of a minimum amount of plaque on the mucous membrane of the mouth and tongue, resembling cottage cheese. Sometimes a mother does not pay attention to such a raid, perceiving it as the remains of milk that has curdled a little in the baby's mouth. But if you take a napkin and run it over your mouth, then the remnants of food will remain on the napkin, and the spots of thrush are not so easy to remove.
- The second stage is characterized by abundant cheesy bloom. Under the plaque, if removed, there will be bleeding sores. This stage already brings the baby excitement and anxiety. It is accompanied by pain. He becomes whiny, restless. And so it hurts him to eat, and he is forced to refuse to eat. Temperature may rise slightly to 37.5°C.
- Third or severe form of the disease. White plaque covers the entire oral cavity, spreads to the throat, tonsils, causes great anxiety of the child. The temperature may rise to 39 ° C, there is an increase in the lymph nodes in the baby, the child is very lethargic and capricious.
Thrush can also affect the anus in such cases, causing diaper dermatitis and causing even more discomfort to the baby. Erosions of the blistering rash form, and this becomes a huge problem for parents and the baby. He is constantly crying, he is in great discomfort, he is suffering.
Thrush in a baby (photo)
The photo clearly shows a white coating onbaby. The entire oral area is covered, and it is immediately clear that this is a thrush on the tongue of the baby. It will already hurt the baby to eat, he will be capricious. Temperature may rise.
The second photo shows that here the infection has already affected both the mucous membrane of the cheeks and the lips from the inside.
Now we have clearly seen what thrush looks like in babies.
Differences between acute and chronic forms
There are two forms: acute and chronic. In a large number of cases, children are diagnosed with an acute form of candidiasis. But if it cannot be cured, or more correctly, cured, or the baby's immunity is severely weakened, then the disease can become chronic.
The acute form of thrush in infants has its own signs:
- Plaque on the oral mucosa.
- Dry mouth.
- Plaque can be easily removed.
- The area of plaque in the mouth is constantly growing.
- It hurts the baby to eat, drink, it burns in his mouth.
- The coating is brownish yellow.
- When trying to remove plaque, ulcers form under it, which bleed.
- The mucous membrane of the mouth swells.
- Child in great pain and discomfort.
Causes of disease
- The first and most important reason why this infection begins is a decrease in immunity. It can be caused by taking an antibiotic during an illness or other illness,after all, the body of a baby during any illness spends its strength on fighting the disease. A decrease in immunity can be caused by teething in a child, often against their background there is a decrease in the protective properties of the body. As a result of a decrease in immunity, fungi develop actively, and there are already many of them, they colonize the child's gastrointestinal tract and lead to a malfunction in the body.
- The second reason is dirty hands. After all, after 6 months, the baby begins to actively explore the world. Everything becomes interesting to him, and it's time to put everything in his mouth. Therefore, it is very important to keep the house and baby's toys clean.
- Intrauterine infection. If the baby's mother had thrush during pregnancy, then during childbirth, through the birth canal, the baby can become infected from the mother.
- Non-observance of hygiene by a nursing mother. The breast should be washed after feeding, so that the milk residues on the breast do not turn sour. You need to change your bra frequently. It must be intended for feeding.
- After 6 months, the baby, as a rule, begins to slowly eat flour, he is given baby cookies, various cereals are introduced, to which a sweetener is added. It is important to know that excessive consumption of flour products and sugar can also cause thrush in the baby's mouth.
- Infection from other family members with thrush.
- Dirty bottles, pacifiers. Bottles and nipples should be boiled every evening. This will protect your baby from getting an infection in the mouth.
- Thrush in a baby in the mouth can be caused by trauma to the mouth.
How to treat thrush in a baby? First of all, if your child has symptoms, you need to consult a pediatrician. It is better not to self-medicate in this matter, because this concerns the he alth of your baby.
There are folk and drug treatments for thrush in infants.
But if you want to use folk methods, then this should also be done under the supervision of a doctor. Treatment will depend, first of all, on the stages of candidiasis, on the baby's well-being, on his general condition and mood.
Parents need to understand that the most important thing for your child's he alth is to walk more with him and breathe fresh air. Thus, the immunity of the baby will increase, and the saliva in the mouth will not dry out. If the baby drinks well, breathes air, and does not have dry mouth, then this will be the first victory over the disease. Thrush in infants, of course, is not a disease from which you need to start to panic, but, following a number of simple rules, it is not difficult to help the baby.
So: we begin to fight a fungal infection with increased walks, thorough disinfection of all toys, nipples, pacifiers and everything that a baby usually puts in his mouth.
Often treat thrush in the mouth of a baby with soda. It is a universal tool. Soda creates an alkaline environment, and fungi die in it. Therefore, there are so many positive reviews about soda treatment. The main thing is not necessaryexceed the dosage, it will have a negative effect on the baby's oral mucosa.
If there is a thrush on the tongue of a baby, then it is advisable to wipe the tongue with a bandage after each feeding, which we first put on the finger and dip into the soda solution. It is made on the basis that in a glass of warm boiled water 250 ml, you need to put 1 teaspoon of soda, and wipe the baby's mouth with this solution as often as possible. If this procedure causes the baby to cry, then you can dip a dummy in this solution and let the baby suck. When exposed to soda solution, the acidity of the oral cavity decreases.
Doctors advise treating the mouth with this solution every 2 hours.
If candidiasis is visible not only on the tongue, but also on the lips or on the cheeks, then with a soda solution, gently, without pressing, wipe the mouth in a circle. It does not make sense to treat the oral cavity with a solution immediately before feeding, because during the meal all our medicine will be washed off. It is advisable to carry out the treatment 20 minutes after eating.
Honey has long been known for its beneficial properties. It is a good antiseptic and has proven itself positively in the initial stage of candidiasis. There are two ways to prepare honey solution. Before starting honey treatment for a baby, it is important to determine if the child is allergic to honey. Honey is known to be a strong allergen. In order to understand this, you need to put a drop of honey on the tongue and wait. If in the next 30 minutes - 1 hour there will be no changes toskin of the face or body in the form of redness or rashes, then you can follow on.
The first way is honey mixed in proportion of 1 tsp. honey + 2 tsp. boiled water.
The second way - one tablespoon of honey is dissolved in 125 ml of warm boiled water. This solution is used to treat the baby's oral cavity, in the same way as when treating with soda.
Folk Local Remedies
Folk local therapy, which also includes the above methods of treatment with soda and honey, includes other methods of treatment. And such treatment does not harm the baby, as it affects only the oral cavity. These funds have been known to everyone for a long time:
- "Potassium permanganate" or potassium permanganate. A slightly pink solution is made from potassium permanganate and boiled water. This solution is processed up to 5 times a day. Potassium permanganate is known for its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic properties and can be found in every mother's first aid kit.
- Decoction of calendula flowers. Two tablespoons pour 500 ml of boiling water, cover with a lid, after cooling and straining the broth is ready. Since the baby cannot rinse his mouth, another way to treat the mouth can be carried out - this is spraying with a syringe into the mouth over the sink. The kid will not get drunk with such a decoction, but the solution will get into all the right places.
- Decoction of herbs: oak bark + chamomile + calendula + sage. All herbs, 1 tablespoon, mix and pour one glass of boiling water. Let stand and cool. Use carefully so that the baby does not swallow.
- Nystatinointment. She needs to clean her mouth 2 times a day.
- "Miramistin" – universal remedy. It is convenient to irrigate the mouth with them. Has no bitter taste. Will not make your baby cry.
- Holisal gel. It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect. If the baby refuses to eat, then Cholisal must be applied to the affected areas in the mouth, and after a couple of minutes the baby will be able to eat.
- Levorin solution is made by crushing a tablet at the rate of 1 tablet with a dosage of 100 thousand units per 5 ml of boiled water. Processing with such a tool should be carried out every 5 hours.
- The "Pimafucin" solution is made similarly to the "Levorin" solution. Processing is carried out at the same interval.
- Kanesten solution has a powerful antifungal effect, treatment is carried out three times a day.
- "Candide" - solution. A powerful weapon against candidiasis. Has a bitter taste. The oral mucosa is treated twice a day with a cotton swab. In 10 days, the fungus will be completely destroyed.
- Drug "Stomatidine" - has a sweet taste. Apply with a cotton swab to the tongue and places where the fungus accumulates. The drug effectively fights the fungus.
- Vitamin B12 is also used in the treatment of the oral cavity of the baby and has proven itself in the treatment of thrush.
If local treatment does not help, in such cases, the doctor prescribes drugs for treatment that must be taken orally. Such drugs are: "Fucis DT", "Fluconazole", "Nystatin", "Ketoconazole",Diflucan, Amphotericin B, Flucytosine and others. All these drugs can not be prescribed independently to your child for treatment. It is imperative that the pediatrician selects the dosage for oral administration. Medicines enter the body of the child and can have a negative effect on the baby. Therefore, it is the doctor who selects the dosage, taking into account the child's age, weight and degree of the disease.
Dr. Komarovsky, a well-known pediatrician, shares his opinion on the treatment of candidiasis in babies. The information will be useful to all mothers.
Preventive measures to be taken:
- Keeping toys, bottles, pacifiers clean.
- Compliance with the hygiene of a nursing mother. Daily change of underwear, breast care, washing with water after each feeding.
- It is advisable to give the baby at least a teaspoon of water after feeding. Thus, food debris will be removed from the oral cavity, and bacteria in the oral cavity will not multiply.
- Daily walks with baby. Improving the child's immunity.
- Compliance with the diet of a nursing mother, the introduction of complementary foods according to age norms.
Don't let your kids get sick!