If the stomach hurts during pregnancy, it always causes excitement and fear in the expectant mother. Pain can be of different strength and intensity. They indicate both natural (physiological) changes and pathological processes occurring in the female body. Pain is divided into:
- acute and chronic;
- sudden and constant;
- and others.
For a correct diagnosis, the localization and strength of pain is important.
Early abdominal pain
Why does my stomach hurt during pregnancy? This is an extremely common phenomenon, the causes of which are varied. Some of them are physiological in nature and are not dangerous for both the woman and the unborn baby, while others are pathological and require medical attention. ATthe first case causes pain caused by:
- Introduction of the egg into the endometrium. Insignificant damage to the mucous membrane or blood vessel can cause pain, to which a woman practically does not pay attention.
- In the first four weeks of pregnancy, pain is associated with hormonal changes and an increase in progesterone levels.
- Why does the lower abdomen hurt during pregnancy? This is due to a shift in the center of gravity of the body, sprains and other changes that occur in the body of the expectant mother.
All of the above causes are natural and do not require medical attention. Next, consider the pain in the early stages caused by pathological factors.
Missed and ectopic pregnancy
It happens that the fetus stops developing and dies. This phenomenon is called a frozen pregnancy. The female body begins to reject it, causing uterine contractions. Acute pain in this case is concentrated in the lower abdomen. In addition, bleeding occurs.
During an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg does not enter the uterus, but is attached to the fallopian tube. As it grows, it soon exceeds the diameter of the pipe and bursts it. This condition is characterized by severe acute pain in the abdomen, and in the event of a rupture of the tube, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, bleeding, fainting.
In both cases medical attention is needed.
The threat of miscarriage. Corpus luteum cyst
The next situation,when it hurts in the lower abdomen during pregnancy, this is a threat of miscarriage, i.e., detachment of the fetal egg occurs. There is a very severe pain of an acute nature in the lower abdomen. Often associated with bleeding. In such a situation, you need to call an ambulance.
To maintain pregnancy and the synthesis of the hormonal substance progesterone (until the end of the formation of the placenta), a temporary organ called the corpus luteum is formed in the female body at the site of the burst follicle. With a failure in its development as a result of the accumulation of fluid, it becomes irregular in shape. Such a phenomenon is diagnosed as a cyst of the corpus luteum. As a result, a pulling pain occurs in the lower abdomen, localized, as a rule, in a specific place. This does not pose a big danger, but it is advisable to visit a gynecologist who will give advice and recommendations.
If the stomach hurts during pregnancy, or rather, at the very beginning, then the pain can be triggered by the following pathologies:
- bloating caused by bowel disorder;
- and others.
These diseases occur both independently and during pregnancy. Thus, with pain in the abdomen in the early stages, you should not panic, but you should consult a doctor to find out the causes and provide assistance.
Pain in the lower abdomen when walking
If your stomach hurts when walking during pregnancy, then this phenomenon may be due to natural causes, inas a result of which the ligaments are overstressed:
- lifting weights;
- long walk;
- wearing the wrong shoes and as a result, the center of gravity shifts.
The cause of pain with the growth of the fetus lies in the tension of the muscles of the press. At a later date, the weight of the baby is about three kilograms, which affects the spine of the future mother. Connective tissues in the third trimester in the pelvic region are slowly weakening, as the body prepares for the birth of a baby.
Why does the lower abdomen hurt during pregnancy and is it possible to avoid this phenomenon when walking? It will not be possible to completely get rid of the pain, since its cause is physiological. However, there are several ways to alleviate it, which is especially true in the second and third trimester:
- support underwear;
- maternity clothes, thanks to special inserts, the stomach is supported;
- comfortable shoes;
- alternating work and leisure;
- regular walks;
- light exercise;
Stomach ache during pregnancy: 2nd trimester
This trimester is considered the calmest. An enlarged uterus does not exert much pressure on the internal organs. The future baby also does not cause anxiety and discomfort. However, some women complain that they are disturbed by pain in the abdomen. This phenomenon may be caused by the following reasons:
- stretchingmuscles located around the uterus, if the pain is not strong, then it is not dangerous;
- overexertion caused by stress or exercise;
- irritation of the uterus, which occurs as a result of the movement of the baby;
- violation of the digestive tract, as a result, there is increased gas formation, constipation;
- taking certain medications;
- periodic contractions of the muscles of the uterus.
Also, sharp pain may indicate appendicitis. Quite dangerous in the second trimester are pulling pains in the lower abdomen and the appearance of red or brown discharge. In any case, regardless of the reason that caused the pain, you should visit a doctor.
Pain in the left lower abdomen
If the stomach hurts on the left during pregnancy, then many women panic. However, most of these are physiological pains. Their main cause is an upset bowel. A properly selected diet will help to correct the situation, in which it is desirable to include:
- fiber-rich foods;
- rye bread containing bran;
- fermented milk products;
- dried fruits;
- various vegetables and fruits.
Eat small meals.
Pain in the lower left side of the abdomen in the later stages is associated with pressure on the internal organs and sprains. To alleviate the condition, you need to rest more, give up sudden movements, large physical overstrains and lifting weights.
Alert at any timeshould be pronounced severe pain, which are characteristic of the following pathologies:
- inflammation of the appendages, left ovary;
- intestinal obstruction;
- premature abruption of the placenta.
The above conditions are dangerous for both the expectant mother and the baby. Medical assistance is needed to relieve pain and relieve the condition.
Pain in the right lower abdomen
Doctor's help is needed if a woman during pregnancy has a stomachache on the right in its lower part, and also has the following symptoms:
- pallor of the skin;
- general malaise;
- lower pressure.
Pregnancy at risk
If your stomach hurts a lot during pregnancy, this is a reason to seek qualified help from a he althcare facility. Often, pain in the lower abdomen portends a miscarriage. Initially, the pain is characterized as pulling and reminiscent of the discomfort that occurs during menstruation. It is localized in the center, the sacral region is also involved in the pain process. The provocateurs of such pains are emotional and physical overloads. If you do not take medical measures, then the pregnancy will spontaneously stop. The nature of the pain will change to cramping. Pain in the second half of pregnancy is accompanied by uterine tension, thenbleeding is added. Such a clinic also requires medical intervention. To establish and confirm the diagnosis, ultrasound is prescribed. In the later stages - cardiotoxography (CTG).
Pregnancy is a provocative factor for the occurrence of pathologies of the abdominal organs, one of the signs of which is pain in the abdomen. This phenomenon is associated with the following factors:
- Changes in the hormonal plan help to reduce the motor activity of the bile ducts and pancreas, gallbladder, intestines. As a result, stagnation is formed, leading to the active reproduction of pathogenic bacteria.
- Reducing immunity and slowing blood circulation in the internal organs provokes inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. As a result of the displacement of internal organs, this process can quickly spread and cause peritonitis.
It should be noted that in pregnant women, the manifestation of such abnormal conditions has some features associated with the fact that the localization of pain changes compared to the usual signs of this disease. Thus, a timely visit to the doctor is very important.
Sex during pregnancy
Does the stomach hurt at the beginning of pregnancy, and the nature of the pain is pulling? Intimacy should be abandoned, as there is a threat of miscarriage. If the expectant mother feels great, and the first trimester is calm, then sexual rest is canceled.
However, it should be remembered that days are considered dangerous whenwhich usually came menstruation. The female body, which is accustomed to regular changes, is able to perceive uterine contractions as an impetus for the expulsion of the fetus. The next trimester is recognized as the most favorable in all respects, including for sex. Intimacy in the third trimester depends entirely on the mood of the woman. There is no prohibition, except for contraindications, for having sex during pregnancy.
Advice from gynecologists
If my stomach hurts during pregnancy, what should I do? For discomfort and pain in the abdomen, not associated with acute or chronic pathologies, to improve well-being, doctors recommend:
- Drink more fluids.
- Rest several times during the day, taking a horizontal position. Turn on pleasant music, relax.
- Take a shower using warm water.
- Ensure a good night's sleep.
- Monitor pressure. For any sudden changes in one or the other direction, visit your doctor.
- Avoid constipation. To do this, eat foods rich in fiber, exercise, drink plenty of water. Medicines with a laxative effect should only be used when prescribed by a gynecologist.
- More outdoor activities. Hiking contributes to the faster removal of toxins and waste from the body, as well as supplying organs and the placenta with oxygen.
- Keep your body hydrated. Follow the diet.
- Practice yoga, physical exercise, allowed forpregnant. You can perform the Kegel complex.
- Try to avoid physical, moral overstrain, stress and various experiences.
- During training bouts, to alleviate the condition, you need to: lie on your left side and take a comfortable position. Place a pillow or roller under the stomach and lie down in a knee-elbow position for several minutes. While counting to four, inhale deeply, and count to six exhale. This simple exercise will also help during labor pains.
- Regularly visit the antenatal clinic. Follow all the recommendations and instructions of the gynecologist.
Does your stomach hurt during pregnancy? This question is often asked by future young mothers. According to gynecologists, one of the most common complaints is pain in the abdomen.
On the one hand, pain is a symptom of various anomalies, and on the other hand, its cause is physiological and is associated with the restructuring of the body. For diagnosis, it is important to determine the nature and localization of pain. In any case, if discomfort occurs in the lower abdomen, it is advisable to contact a gynecologist as soon as possible. You should not engage in self-treatment, so as not to harm the baby and yourself.