2023 Author: Priscilla Miln | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-31 00:57
The birth of a new life is the greatest miracle in the world. However, the process of the birth of a baby into the world is quite complicated and requires special concentration and effort not only from the obstetrician, but also from the expectant mother. In order for the delivery process to go without complications, it is recommended that every pregnant woman familiarize herself with the features of the birth process in advance. Particular attention should be paid to contractions and attempts. Often, the life and he alth of the newborn depends on the correct actions of the woman in labor during the appearance of labor attempts.
Attempt is a process of involuntary contraction of the muscles of the female reproductive system at the onset of labor. Usually an attempt is accompanied by contractions. However, it can also occur on its own. Attempts stimulate the female body to prepare for childbirth, tune it to the utmost concentration and composure.
Many pregnant women are afraid of giving birth for the first time. They believe that they will not be able to produce a baby into the world on their own. Actually it is not. Attempts during childbirth, as well as contractions, help the baby go through the birth canal on his own and be born. Obstetricians in this case play the role of assistants, guiding the child and helping himmake the required path.
When does pushing start?
Every expectant mother needs to know at what time labor attempts begin. They appear suddenly. The woman in labor has no influence on their appearance. It is worth remembering that an attempt is an involuntary reflex movement of the muscle tissues of the female reproductive system.
They begin during the period of maximum cervical dilatation. With the help of attempts, the following types of muscle tissue are contracted:
- diaphragm muscles;
Due to regular reflex contractions inside the abdominal cavity, a working pressure is created that affects the process of giving birth to a baby.
The main role of pushing is pushing the embryo through the birth canal to the pelvic organs and expelling it from the mother's womb. Usually, attempts are accompanied by a process of contractions. This helps the baby to be born as much as possible. However, unlike labor pains, a woman can control her attempts. This is the basic natural concept of natural childbirth: the maximum effort on the part of the baby and the mother for the independent birth of the child.
Frequency of labor pains
Usually, women in labor are concerned about the weakness of attempts or, conversely, their frequent manifestation. What should be their average frequency?
There are attempts gradually. Initially, reflex muscle contraction occurs quite rarely. Gradually the pace picks up. By the time the baby is born, the frequency of birth efforts ranges from 2 to3 minutes. At the same time, the duration of one attempt is about 15 seconds.
Many women are concerned about how long primiparous attempts last. In total, their duration is about 2-3 hours. In women who have already given birth, the duration of laboring activity is reduced to 15 minutes. Do not be afraid that the attempts last too long. It is worth remembering that their appearance means the final stage of the birth process.
How to recognize pushing?
One of the most common fears of expectant mothers is the late recognition of straining activity. How to determine their beginning? To do this, it is worth remembering what attempts are. They represent involuntary contractions of muscle tissue, that is, a certain urge to act. In many cases, the occurrence of attempts can be compared to the urge to defecate.
During the period of attempts, a woman in labor may experience sensations of complete emptying of the intestines. At the same time, the call to defecate makes her push harder. How should the woman in labor proceed in this case? It is known that an attempt is the main assistant of a woman in childbirth. Therefore, the harder the woman in labor tries to push, the easier it will be for the baby to pass through the birth canal.
What should a woman do when there are signs of labor pains:
- Don't hold back the natural impulse. Many primiparous women are afraid that when relaxing, bowel movements will occur. You shouldn't hold yourself back. This negatively affects the delivery process.
- In case the attempts began whenthe expectant mother is at home, it is necessary to call an ambulance for hospitalization. By this time, the woman should already have a package with the things needed in the hospital.
- In the emergency room, a woman in labor will be asked to give a cleansing enema. It will allow you to completely empty the intestines. After that, the expectant mother may not be afraid that an unpleasant situation has occurred during attempts.
Pushing and contractions
Inexperienced women confuse these 2 concepts. To understand them, you should study in more detail how they differ.
Pushing and contractions have one thing in common - they expel the fetus from the mother's womb. They complement each other. Thus, the process of childbirth is much easier.
The fights take place in 2 stages. In the first, they contribute to the opening of the cervix. A woman cannot control them. However, she is able to alleviate her condition and reduce their duration. There are special breathing exercises for this.
The second stage of labor is characterized by the progress of the fetus through the birth canal. Contractions here also play the role of an assistant. It is during this period that the first attempts occur. Thanks to them, the fetus is moving in the right direction. Since an attempt is a reflex contraction of muscle tissue, a woman in labor can independently control them. To make the process of childbirth much easier, a woman should follow the basic rules of behavior when trying.
What is the difference between pushing and contractions? Contractions happen naturally. The woman in labor cannot control them. Applicationspecial exercises will only slightly alleviate her condition. Attempts, in most cases, are controllable. With the right actions of a woman in labor with attempts, the birth of a baby will not be long in coming.
The appearance of attempts in the second stage of labor always means the beginning of the final stage. The baby will be born very soon. To make this process faster, a woman should actively help the child, following the instructions of obstetricians.
Actions of a woman when trying
If the expectant mother suddenly has a strong urge to defecate, this means that labor attempts have begun. A woman should not panic. In any condition, the pregnant woman must remain calm. Her mood, feelings and fears are transferred to the child.
So, the woman is sure that the attempts have begun. How to push properly:
- First of all, you need to contact your doctor. He will examine the position of the fetus and give permission for independent attempts.
- You can start pushing only after the baby has completely passed through the birth canal. If the child is in the pelvic region, you can push. If not, it's worth the wait. The location of the fetus is determined by the doctor.
- To make labor painless for both mother and baby, you should also follow the basic rules of breathing.
- Don't be too zealous. Of course, attempts contribute to rapid childbearing. But with excessive application of effort, a woman may experience premature weakness, loss of strength, and exhaustion. It threatensconsequences such as impaired circulation and limited oxygen supply to the child.
Ways of behavior during labor attempts
At the moment, in the modern world, it is customary to use 2 main types of behavior when attempts occur:
The natural type of behavior implies complete trust in the natural forces of nature. The course of labor is not controlled by anything from the outside. The woman does not hold back the straining impulses. It is generally accepted that female nature itself will help the child to be born.
Controlled type implies complete obedience to the words of the obstetrician. A woman pushes only in a period of time strictly regulated by a doctor. This method allows you to fully control the process of childbirth. The doctor constantly monitors the position and progress of the embryo.
Which of the existing types of straining actions to choose, the woman in labor should decide on her own, after consulting with her obstetrician.
Tips to alleviate the condition of a woman in labor
Having learned what attempts are, every expectant mother wants to alleviate her condition as much as possible without harm to the baby. To do this, you must follow the following simple rules:
- To alleviate your condition, it is better to take a squatting position during labor.
- In a horizontal position, pull your legs as close to your chin as possible and spread them apart.
- When trying, you can not direct the main efforts to the head. Push should be in the pelvic area. The eyes and the back of the head should be as relaxed as possible. With eye strain, there will be a drop in intraocular pressure, which will adversely affect visual acuity. If you strain the back of the head during attempts, headaches and periodic drops in intracranial pressure may subsequently occur.
- You should try to hold back your scream as much as possible. When screaming, adrenaline is released, which blocks the access of oxygen to the child's body. This can lead to hypoxia.
Attempts. Breathe right
In order for the process of labor attempts to pass not only quickly, but also effectively for both the mother and the baby, the basic rules of behavior should be observed. These include active breathing during attempts:
- When a woman in labor feels the beginning of an attempt, she should take a deep breath and hold her breath.
- The face, thighs and buttocks must be completely relaxed.
- The abdominal muscles, on the contrary, should be tightened as much as possible.
- By tensing the abdominal muscles, gradually reduce the area of pressure down towards the perineum.
- Don't be too zealous. Relax completely after 5 seconds.
Proper breathing when pushing helps the baby pass the birth canal. It is worth remembering that its promotion is carried out on the exhalation of a woman. It should be smooth and in no case harsh.
After the attempt has passed, it should be restoredcalm breathing and try to relax as much as possible. So the woman will gain strength to continue labor activity.
Danger of complications
Not always labor activity goes according to the classical scenario. Unfortunately, some women have a weak labor activity. It includes:
- weak state of attempts;
- weak labor pains;
- complete cessation of contractions.
The weak state of attempts is characterized by the participation in the process of only the muscles of the abdominal cavity. It often occurs in women who are overweight, in women in labor who have already been mothers more than once, in women in labor with diseases of the abdominal cavity.
If during childbirth there is a suspicion of a weak state of attempts, you should immediately contact the attending obstetrician for an examination. According to the woman's condition and ability to push, medication is prescribed.
Birthing is an integral part of the birth of a baby. If you follow the basic rules of breathing and behavior of a woman, you can significantly speed up the meeting between mother and newborn baby.