The long-awaited replenishment in the family, and from that moment on, the mother is more worried about the child's condition. And it, first of all, depends on his nutrition. Colic, stool problems are the first problems that a young mother faces. And, of course, she worries about what a normal stool should be in a baby, what regularity and amount of feces. How nutrition or illness affects the child's stool. This article is suitable for new parents. They will find all the answers here.
What are the changes in stool in an infant in the first week of life?
What is normal stool for babies? Photos of stool masses help mothers determine what is considered normal. For example, feces in children from the first day of life to a year are constantly changing, as the child's diet changes. An important role is played by the nutrition of the baby, that is: breastfeeding, artificial or mixed. With the start of the introduction of complementary foods, stool changes also occur.
How stool changes in the first week of a baby's life:
- In the first three days sincebirth, feces in a child of a rather unusual condition. It has a dark, almost black color, thick and viscous in appearance, there is practically no smell. This first stool (meconium) is very important for the baby. He talks about normal bowel function.
- From the third day, the feces begin to change consistency, becoming more liquid. The color also changes - a shade of green is acquired.
- A week later, the stool returns to normal, becomes with a yellow tint. By smell and consistency, it can resemble thick kefir or yogurt. May contain undigested particles of milk and mucus.
Normal stool in an infant. What is its color and consistency?
The normal color of the stool in a baby from the moment the primary feces are removed until the moment of the introduction of complementary foods should be yellow, similar to liquid porridge and with a sour smell.
Children have different stool regularity. But usually it should be present after each feed or at me altimes, as this is when the intestines work well, and it is easier and easier for the child to empty it.
If the baby has problems with the original feces, you should immediately tell the pediatrician at the maternity hospital about this. There may be bowel problems.
After the birth of a child, the mother's main concern is the baby's chair. Every child has their own rules. But there are average data that you need to pay attention to. Although it happens that a child has a rare stool, twice a day or a week, but at the same time the baby does not have a feeling of discomfort, and if the feces are of considerable size, thennot worth worrying about. So this is how a child's digestive system works.
When is it normal for loose stools in a baby?
Loose stools for children can also be the norm, but if it is not of a permanent nature, but is isolated cases per day. The child's digestive system is just developing, so malfunctions are possible.
Stool for a breastfed baby
What is the normal stool for a breastfed baby? For a breastfed baby, the consistency of stool is curdled milk, and the color is usually yellow with white lumps. The smell is similar to the smell of kefir and the same yogurt.
- In the first month of life, the chair is up to eight times a day. This is important for every mother to know.
- From the second month, the number of bowel movements may decrease up to five times.
- Starting from the third month, the stool becomes thicker, but still gruel. Color may turn yellow-brown or yellow-green.
- By the fourth month of life, the baby's stool is already normal. Usually bowel movements occur once at one time (morning or evening). Usually during feeding.
- As weaning begins, stools will gradually turn brown. The smell of feces will also change to a sharper and more unpleasant one. Consistency will depend on complementary foods. Bread products will fix feces. Fruit purees, on the contrary, can cause loose stools.
Advice for new mothers about baby feces
After birth, stools may be irregular in the early days. This is affected by the fact that the gastrointestinal tract of the baby is still onlyadapt to nutrition. For the first time, the stomach begins to work and digest food, which contains not only nutrients, but also bacteria.
Mom needs to take care of her diet, of course. Do not eat foods that can cause constipation or diarrhea in a child. After all, the normal chair of a baby on breastfeeding completely depends on the mother. Mom ate flour, the baby will have problems.
White lumps and green mucus in baby's stool
The presence of white lumps in the feces usually indicates that the digestive tract is not yet fully developed. Over time, they should become smaller. If green mucus appears in the stool, this may indicate that the enzymes in the liver are not yet fully ripe. If such feces do not cause inconvenience, and there are no additional symptoms, then it just takes time for the development of the digestive organs, then everything will soon return to normal.
If you have any doubts whether a baby has a normal stool on breast milk or not, then it is better not to guess, but to consult a pediatrician. Since dysbacteriosis in young children is a common disease. The consequences of it can ruin the life of the baby.
Normal stool in a bottle-fed baby
In artificial children, the chair begins to change faster than in natural scientists. Already by 1.5 months, the stool may be in the form of thick porridge and be pale yellow in color.
- in the first week, feces can be up to five times a day;
- from the second week until reachinga two-month-old baby can pass stools up to three times a day;
- after two months, the baby can walk on the big one only once a day or for two days.
A formula-fed baby may have problems with stools more often than breastfed babies, even though the ads say formulas are close to breast milk. It cannot completely replace it. Sometimes just the process of breast sucking has a positive effect on the work of the digestive organs.
What should I pay attention to? What signs should worry a new mother?
It is important to pay attention to the following symptoms:
- Baby became restless after feeding.
- Sleep problems started.
- During bowel movements, the baby makes an effort, presses the legs to the stomach.
- Belly can become tight and even bloated.
- Deterioration of appetite.
If these symptoms are not present, the baby is active and cheerful, then the feces are once a day and thick - this is a normal stool in a baby. But if one of the listed symptoms is detected, it is necessary to change the mixture. You can do it yourself. Better get a pediatrician's advice.
Stool during the introduction of complementary foods. What changes are taking place?
What kind of stool does a baby have when introducing complementary foods? More on this later in the article. Complementary foods are allowed to enter the baby from four months. But it all depends on the characteristics and he alth of the child. If the baby has enough breast milk, there are no problems with the stool, thencomplementary foods can be introduced from six months.
But, if there are problems with the bowel movement, weight gain, or anemia, then here the pediatrician will advise introducing complementary foods from four months. Purees, juices will weaken the intestines, replenish the body with a supply of useful substances.
It is necessary to introduce a novelty carefully. Do not let the baby eat the whole jar of puree at once, as he liked it, otherwise the child will have diarrhea and abdominal pain.
When a child begins to eat "adult" food, his stool begins to change. But not immediately there will be thick feces. After all, the child still consumes mother's milk or formula. First of all, the change will affect the color and smell. Over time, the greater the proportion of complementary foods, the closer the structure of feces will be, as in an adult.
Examples of changes in feces in infants with the introduction of various foods
Here the color will depend on what the child ate. If there was green apple puree, then a yellow-green gruel is possible. And if there was boiled beets, then the feces will be red. Now it will be more difficult to determine whether a baby has a normal chair or not.
What can be deviations in the stool of an infant
Disturbances in the work of the intestines in a child are far from uncommon. In what cases should you immediately start sounding the alarm, and when you can do without the help of a doctor:
- If there are lumps of undigested food or mucus in the feces, but the baby is active and cheerful, then there is no reason to worry. Although the constant presence of undigested food may indicate a malfunctionintestines. Here you need to consult a pediatrician.
- The appearance of streaks of blood in the feces, a change in color to black may indicate a violation of the integrity of the integument of the digestive tract. It is urgent to go to the hospital.
- Loose and frequent stools in babies is the norm. But, if the feces become almost watery, the child becomes lethargic, the appetite is gone, infection may enter the body. Need to call an ambulance.
- Very thick and dark stools, accompanied by constipation. You need to change your child's diet. If complementary foods have not yet been introduced, then the mother needs to change the diet or change the mixture.
- Feces of green color and with foam can cause malfunction of the digestive tract, or the child eats only liquid (first milk), and normal does not enter the body. Here you need to express the first portion of milk.
What are the known causes of bowel problems in an infant
Causes of abnormal feces may be as follows:
- Incorrect introduction of complementary foods at once in large portions, there was no adaptation of the body to new products.
- A breastfed baby was given water to drink, although his body did not require it.
- Medications, especially antibiotics. The stool can change in any direction, from diarrhea to constipation.
- Teething is often accompanied not only by fever and whims, but also by diarrhea.
- Mom is not dieting or formula is not suitable for baby.
Normal stool in a baby is the joy of any mother. And, if you follow the correct feeding regimen, do not violate the diet of a nursing mother, choose the mixture wisely, take your time with complementary foods, then problems with stools may be rare or even absent. Every mother needs to know this.
But sometimes feces can cause panic even for mothers of many children.
What should I pay attention to? When to call a doctor?
What kind of stool in a baby should be alarming? There are times when feces can also indicate a serious illness in a child. Sometimes it is necessary not only to call a doctor, but also, without delay, call an ambulance.
- Thin (like water), frothy and frequent stools. It is most likely an infectious disease. Calling an ambulance is a must, of course. This must be done quickly so that severe dehydration does not occur.
- Sudden and sudden change in the smell of feces, unbearable.
- Severe constipation, more than five days the child cannot empty himself. Do not run for an enema. It's better to go to the doctor right away. Since an incorrectly delivered enema in this case can damage the walls of the rectum.
- Baby's feces are accompanied by mucus (insignificant or, conversely, a significant amount). Here we mean not isolated cases, but constant ones.
- Severe redness of the anus.
- The appearance of red streaks or blood in the stool.
When dangerous symptoms appear, you should not postpone a visit to the doctor, you must immediately seek help from specialists. A normal stool in a baby can be of a different type and character, but, nevertheless, there are bounding boxes.
And, if there are deviations, you should not guess, call your mother or girlfriend. No one can provide better help than a qualified doctor. It is better to treat all deviations in the initial stages of manifestation, then the disease can be cured completely.