Inflammation of the gums during pregnancy is a very common occurrence that should never be ignored. The main causes of this disease are stressful situations, insufficient amounts of nutrients in the body, vitamins, and other factors. Inflammation of the gums during pregnancy is dangerous, since such a process can adversely affect the development of the fetus in a woman, which will provoke very serious consequences in the future.
General description of the disease and main forms
Gum disease is very common among pregnant women. The fact is that during pregnancy, the hormonal background in the female body changes, and many different processes are triggered, which are the cause of a weakened immune system. Thus, a woman during pregnancy may feel some discomfort in the oral cavity, for example, while eating or even whennormal finger pressure on the gum. There may also be light bleeding while brushing your teeth. Basically, in such cases, there is an inflammatory process in the gums.
In medicine, inflammation of the gums during pregnancy (and not only) is officially called gingivitis. Pregnant women often develop hypertrophic and catarrhal forms. Each has its own characteristics.
Gingivitis during pregnancy, catarrhal, is characterized by bleeding from the gums after eating solid foods, and the absence of soreness in the gums.
With the hypertrophic form of gingivitis, persistent pain is observed, while the blood from the gums goes spontaneously, without any mechanical effect. In parallel with this, the gums begin to swell. The main cause of gum inflammation during pregnancy, which occurs in this form, is hormonal failure in the female body, vitamin deficiency, as well as incorrect functioning of the thyroid gland.
There is also the so-called ulcerative gingivitis, which manifests itself much brighter. Inflammation of the gums during pregnancy in this case has a pronounced character. In some areas, even tissue necrosis may occur. In parallel with this, regional lymph nodes increase, which, when pressed, provoke severe pain. This form of the disease is the most severe of all. It should be noted that this form is consideredthe result of complications of the previous two forms, if there is no adequate treatment. In addition, the factors of development of this stage are:
- past viral-type diseases;
- poor or lack of oral hygiene;
- hypercooling of the body.
It is worth paying attention to the fact that only with ulcerative gingivitis, the patient's temperature rises, the skin becomes pale, the pulse quickens, appetite disappears, and general malaise is felt.
Causes of bleeding gums
Such an unpleasant phenomenon as inflammation of the gums during pregnancy has a simple physiological explanation. As a rule, the female body during pregnancy undergoes serious changes and stresses. The endocrine system of the female body begins to function more actively, thus increasing the overall hormonal background. This imbalance negatively affects the entire body as a whole, and is also considered the cause of bleeding gums. In addition, it can lead to the development of other unpleasant situations:
- changing gum structure;
- immunity weakening;
- changing the microflora in the oral cavity;
- occurrence of plaque.
Many do not even think about what exactly is plaque. The fact is that such a plaque is the so-called horde of various harmful microorganisms that focus on tooth enamel and parasitize inmouth.
Many believe that plaque is just a banal and habitual phenomenon that does not need special attention. But this is absolutely not true. Together, factors such as plaque, gum disease, and infestations in the mouth contribute to bleeding and inflammation of the gums during pregnancy. Treatment in this case is necessary.
In addition, the gums during pregnancy can bleed due to various mechanical effects. For example, chewing hard foods provokes damage to the mucous membrane in the gum area, the structure of which changes due to a surge of hormonal changes.
The main reasons why gingivitis develops are as follows:
- vitamin deficiency in the body;
- increased level of acidity in the mouth;
- violation of metabolic processes in the body;
- Using too hard toothbrush.
Gum disease symptoms
As a rule, inflammation of the gums near the tooth during pregnancy is observed in women for a period of 2 to 8 months. Based on this, it can be concluded that the symptoms for the second and first half of pregnancy are different. For example, inflammation of the gums in the first half of pregnancy is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- pain while brushing teeth;
- changing the shade of the gums;
- small amount of blood on gums;
- puffiness on the gums.
It is worth noting that the most pronounced factor that pregnant women complain about, and which also speaks of the inflammatory process, is soreness. Moreover, the pain is felt not only during brushing, but also at rest. Many women, for this reason, begin to brush their teeth less often, but in this way they only increase the number of bacteria in the oral cavity. As a result of all this, the condition of the gums gets worse over time.
As for the symptoms of inflammation of the gums during pregnancy in the second half of the term, they are characterized by hypertrophy, which is the growth of the papillae and the edges of the gums. As a rule, this symptom is expressed only on the front gums. This hypertrophy is divided into two types:
- edematous, when the papillae on the gums are soft, loose, bleed;
- fibrous, when the papillae on the gums increase in size and become dense.
The first signs of gum disease are: soreness, burning, bad breath, ulceration. How to treat inflammation of the gums during pregnancy, the dentist can tell. Therefore, at the first signs of the disease, it is necessary to seek help from a specialist in order to avoid possible negative consequences that may adversely affect the fetus.
Features of treatment
Speaking of how to treat inflammation of the gums during pregnancy, it should be noted that there are different methods of dealing with such a pathology. First of all, the specialistcarry out mandatory diagnostic measures, after which treatment with the use of medications is prescribed.
Considering how to treat inflammation of the gums during pregnancy, it is also worth noting that in no case should you start self-treatment, as this can provoke very unpleasant consequences and will only aggravate the entire clinical picture. Only an experienced qualified specialist should prescribe the intake of effective and safe medications. The choice of a particular method of treating inflammation of the gums near the tooth during pregnancy will depend on several factors:
- stages of disease;
- degree of damage to the mucous membrane on the gums;
- other pathologies occurring in the female body;
- age of the patient.
Such an unpleasant phenomenon as inflammation of the gums requires mandatory treatment. Speaking about how to relieve inflammation of the gums during pregnancy, it should be noted that the main treatment process should begin with the elimination of existing plaque on the teeth. At the same time, due attention should be paid to oral hygiene, as this is important to eliminate the main cause of the development of the disease.
If the main factor in the occurrence of inflammation was the systematic injury of the gum mucosa, then in this case it is necessary to pay special attention to the diet, as well as the quality of the toothbrush.
In the most severe cases, the specialist resorts to surgical intervention, which removes plaque and hard teethdeposits, special tools are used.
What to rinse
Inflammation of the gums during pregnancy can also be eliminated by rinsing. For this, as a rule, the following antiseptic preparations are used:
- "Chlorhexidine". During the inflammatory process, this drug is used in the form of a liquid solution. "Chlorhexidine" is able to have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects. For rinsing, 10 ml of solution is used, and the process itself must be performed for about 1 minute, at least 3 times a day.
- "Miramistin". This antiseptic is quite effective in combating various pathogenic bacteria, including those that live in the oral cavity. In addition, rinsing with such a preparation contributes to the rapid recovery of the affected mucous membrane. To get rid of gingivitis, a 0.01% solution is used, which is necessary to rinse the mouth 3 times a day.
- "Furacilin". This solution is able to have a detrimental effect on various harmful bacteria. In parallel with this, the agent has an astringent effect, thereby eliminating bleeding and promoting the healing of microtraumas. For rinsing, you must use a solution of 0.02% or dissolve one tablet of "Furacilin" in a glass of warm water. The mouth must be rinsed after eating.
This technique should be attributed to the folk treatment of gum disease during pregnancy. However, it must be clarified that such folkprescriptions are used only in conjunction with traditional medicine. In order to fully recover, first of all, you need to use medicines, after which you can already resort to traditional medicine.
Other folk remedies
Sage leaf has a number of beneficial properties, while having a detrimental effect on inflammation. To prepare a decoction based on this plant, you need to take one tablespoon of chopped dry sage leaves, pour 250 ml of boiling water over the raw material. Let the decoction brew for 20 minutes, then cool, and rinse your mouth with the resulting product about 7 times a day. In addition, chamomile flowers, which are used instead of sage leaves, can be used to make such a tincture.
Soda solution has an excellent effect on inflamed gums. To prepare such a solution for rinsing, you need to take one teaspoon of ordinary baking soda, dissolve in a glass of water. The gums are rinsed with the resulting solution 5 times a day, preferably after eating.
Gels and ointments for gum inflammation during pregnancy
You can cope with this unpleasant pathology by using special ointments and gels. Using an anti-inflammatory gel, you can get rid of redness and swelling of the gum surface, as well as eliminate pain. Basically, doctors recommend using Metrogil-Dent or Solcoseryl. These drugs can not only actively fight pathology, but also eliminate pain in a fairly short period of time.
The main advantage of using ointments and gels is that these products are able to act locally on the affected areas. And this is important in the treatment of a disease during pregnancy, since these substances cannot harm the fetus.
Tips and tricks from dentists
Statistics show that in recent years there has been an increase in cases of women visiting dentists due to gum disease during pregnancy. First of all, this is due to the fact that they ignore the rules of hygiene. Also, a factor in the development of gingivitis is the deterioration of living conditions, the unfavorable environmental situation in the world. To prevent the development of the disease, it is necessary to adhere to a number of preventive norms. Preventive measures are as follows:
- First of all, you need to follow simple hygiene procedures, with which you can quickly get rid of pathogenic bacteria in the oral cavity. It is important at the same time to choose a brush with a normal level of hardness, as well as to choose the right therapeutic toothpaste. Women during pregnancy after brushing their teeth should use special rinses made on the basis of herbs. Such products can have an antiseptic effect.
- It is also necessary to control the level of consumption of sugary foods. But if you can’t completely eliminate sweets from your diet, then you need to minimize their use. Specialists especially focus on avoiding the use of caramel and toffee, since these sweets are the cause of caries,most negatively affecting the gum tissue.
- Dentists and other experts recommend including foods rich in vitamin C in your daily menu. Thanks to such food, you can not only increase your immunity, but also get rid of inflammatory processes in the oral cavity.
Pregnant women should take good care of their he alth, without neglecting the implementation of hygiene standards. The occurrence of any inflammatory process in the body is a signal that you need to immediately consult a doctor for help.