Loose stools can appear at any age. But this phenomenon is of particular concern in childhood. Pathology can be caused by various factors, but they are based on intestinal disorders. Parents should know the main symptoms and understand how to stop diarrhea in a child at two years old. It is this age interval that we will consider later in the article.
Why the problem occurs
Diarrhea is associated with increased intestinal peristalsis. In this case, the contents of the rectum and colon move much faster and the feces do not have time to form. In young children, whose age is 1-3 years, diarrhea can be quite common and is not associated with any problems. The fact is that the work of the whole organism is not yet perfect, and the necessary enzymes for digesting food may not be enough. Therefore, at two years, even the usual juice can provoke diarrhea if the baby drank it more than the prescribed norm.
Before deciding how to stop diarrhea in a 2 year old,it is worth understanding the reasons for its occurrence. If there are no other signs, then nutritional errors can be called a provoking factor. In this case, a change in diet will help eliminate an unpleasant symptom. But loose stools can be combined with bloating, vomiting, and fever. In this case, the baby should be shown to the doctor to select treatment tactics.
Sometimes parents do not know what to give a child with diarrhea at 2 years old, and often rely on the advice of friends or advertising. However, doctors do not recommend doing this if the causes of diarrhea are unknown. The child's condition can only get worse. Even more so, you should not offer your baby drugs designed for adults.
Diarrhea in children of the third year of life can be caused by a banal violation in the diet. But the causes are also viral and bacterial infections. In this case, other symptoms are vomiting, fever and general weakness. The child may not eat, but if he refuses the proposed drink, then this is an alarming sign. As a result, dehydration can develop, so it is important to understand how to stop diarrhea in a child at 2 years old so that it does not develop into a big problem.
At the age of 2-3, many children start attending preschool. If sanitary standards are not observed when preparing food, then a bacterial infection may be the cause of diarrhea. In this case, bacteria or pathogenic E. coli are the culprits.
The reason may also bepoor-quality products, poor hand hygiene, contact with a child infected with a bacterial infection. Let's figure out what is possible with diarrhea for a child at 2 years old and what actions need to be taken.
Features of the treatment of diarrhea in children 1-2 years old
If diarrhea is diagnosed at such a young age, it is important to prevent dehydration. Diarrhea remedies for children 2 years of age should make up for the lack of water, which is why it is so important to give them Regidron or other rehydration solutions.
A good treatment for diarrhea caused by pathogenic microbes is Enterofuril. It is recommended for acute diarrheal syndrome, if the general he alth of the child is satisfactory, there is no temperature. However, for children under three years of age, it is necessary to offer the remedy in the form of a suspension. Capsules are intended for those who are already three years old and older.
If the baby does not want to eat on the first day of illness, then you should not insist. This is the main therapy for diarrhea in children under 2-3 years of age. But refusing food for more than three days is a reason to get advice from a pediatrician. However, it is important to make sure your baby is drinking enough fluids.
Essential medicines for treating diarrhea in children
It is quite common for a child to have diarrhea at 2 years of age. Treatment is tailored to the severity of the condition and accompanying symptoms. Parents should keep in mind that all diarrhea medications are divided into groups:
- antivirals are used if diarrhea is provoked by a viral nature;
- antimicrobial use when diarrheacaused by pathogenic microbes;
- rehydration are used for any diarrhea and help replenish fluids in the body;
- sorbents are needed to remove toxins, microbes and any pathogenic microflora from the intestines.
What to give from diarrhea to a child at 2 years old? Medicines that are needed in the first place should make up for the loss of s alts and minerals. Many experts agree that plain water in this case is not enough. In severe cases, doctors administer special drugs intravenously. At home, you can use special solutions. Scientists have long known what ratio of s alts and minerals should enter the body of a child, and based on these data, special preparations are prepared. The dosage for a two-year-old is always indicated on the package.
It is convenient to use the following powders, which require only the addition of water:
- "Humana Electrolyte";
If there is no ready-made product at hand, you can cook it at home. To do this, add two teaspoons of sugar and 1/3 teaspoon of s alt to one liter of warm water. The resulting solution is fed to the baby throughout the day.
Use of sorbents
Such drugs are designed to bind toxins, pathogenic microbes and remove them along with the feces. If a child has diarrhea at 2 years old, what to do - the doctor will tell. Sorbents will definitely be recommended to remove from the intestinesproblem-causing elements. Their effectiveness has been scientifically proven, even with poisoning, such drugs help. The composition of all fixed assets is natural, so reception is possible even at the age of two. Often pediatricians recommend the following medicines:
Activated carbon. Available in the form of tablets or powder. The drug can be given to children, it is well tolerated. The only negative is that children are not always willing to take black tasteless pills
- "Smekta". Instructions for use for children show that this popular drug is approved for use from birth. The annotation states that the product copes well with bacteria, toxins and viruses. In this case, diarrhea is eliminated in just a few steps. However, when taking Smecta, it must be borne in mind that it reduces the effect of other drugs, so the medicine should be taken one hour before taking the absorbent or two hours after. Very well tolerated by children "Smekta". Instructions for use states that the powder must be diluted with water and fed with the resulting solution of the baby.
- "Enterosgel". A fairly popular drug that is available in the form of a gel. Its advantage is precisely in the form of release. Children two years of age and younger willingly agree to take sweet medicine. The drug binds and removes bacteria and toxins from the feces. It is also effective againstviruses. It is important that the product gently affects the gastrointestinal tract, promotes the regeneration of its cells and does not affect the beneficial microflora.
- "Lignin". Consists of wood of coniferous trees. Promotes the removal of bacteria, toxins and fermentation products.
All drugs have proven themselves and effectively fight diarrhea in children two years of age and older. Some of them are shown even to newborns.
Do enzymes prescribe
The appointment of enzymes should be under the supervision of a doctor. Their use is justified if it is precisely established that the cause of diarrhea is inflammation of the pancreas or diarrhea developed while taking antibiotics. The lack of certain enzymes is determined using a coprogram. The most well-known drugs that can be recommended to a two-year-old baby include the following:
To stabilize the intestinal microflora, "Hilak forte" is prescribed. For children, it is indicated for diarrhea, flatulence, or the manifestation of allergic reactions. The drug restores the acidity of the gastrointestinal tract, normalizes the disturbed intestinal microflora, promotes the regeneration of damaged cells, restores water and electrolyte balance. In drops, "Hilak forte" is produced. It is convenient for children to take it. A two-year-old baby can take 20 to 40 drops at a time. It is necessary to provide three meals a day.
Can I give painkillers
With the viral nature of diarrhea, the child may have a fever. In this case, taking an antipyretic is justified. Recommended drugs based on paracetamol or ibuprofen. But it is not advisable to give suppositories, it is better to limit yourself to syrup.
But painkillers for diarrhea in a baby are not recommended. Reception can hide an alarming symptom and help will be provided too late. To relieve painful spasms, you can only offer "No-shpu".
How to feed a child at 2 years old with diarrhea
When diarrhea is necessary to observe a sparing diet. On the first day of illness, you can eat nothing at all or significantly reduce the usual portion. This is necessary to relieve the burden on the gastrointestinal tract and liver. As soon as the condition begins to improve, you can increase the amount of food eaten.
When compiling the menu, the following recommendations of doctors should be taken into account:
- You can offer dried bread or crackers (without spices and s alt).
- S alt cannot be avoided at all. It is necessary to maintain the water-s alt balance.
- Products with a high content of pectin are needed. It can be bananas, but a baked apple is better.
- After the normalization of the intestines, protein foods will benefit. Recommended white meat turkey or chicken. But it is better to cook steam meatballs or meatballs. Eggs are allowed, but only boiled.
- Water, tea, compote are allowed without any restrictions.
Don't do this
How to stop diarrhea ina child at 2 years old, any parent should understand. There are points that are not recommended:
- to drink carbonated drinks;
- make a menu of legumes and other foods that contribute to flatulence (cabbage, fresh bread, fruits);
- do not give drugs that are intended for adults without a doctor's recommendation.
So, "Loperamide" is considered very effective against diarrhea. But in contraindications, age up to 8 years is indicated. However, if necessary, the doctor can prescribe it to children who are only two years old.
You can not give painkillers if the baby complains of pain in the abdomen. This will blur the symptoms and make it difficult for the doctor to make an accurate diagnosis.
How else can you help
Often parents do not know how to stop diarrhea in a child at 2 years old. In addition to drugs, there are quite effective alternative methods of treatment:
- An infusion of pear leaves can be given to a child in a tablespoon up to 6 times a day.
- Pomegranate peel without a white layer is dried and an infusion is prepared. The child should drink about a third of the glass, to consolidate the effect, another third is drunk after three hours.
- Starch can be used to make the stool more formed. To do this, it is better to cook jelly and offer the child without restrictions.
- Black tea has excellent astringent properties. It also helps to strengthen the inner walls of the intestines. Butbefore going to bed, it is not recommended to offer too strong a drink, otherwise sleep may be disturbed.
In general, tea is very good for intestinal disorders. Therefore, the drink can be offered to the child with virtually no restrictions.
Usually, a child's diarrhea resolves with proper treatment and care. But there are times when medical attention is needed. Parents should take their child to the doctor immediately if any of the following symptoms occur:
- sweating or dry skin and mucous membranes;
- depression, weakness;
- rapid heart rate;
- lack of tears when crying;
- greyish skin tone;
- saliva became viscous;
- urinating infrequently or not at all;
- dropping eyes;
- cold limbs;
- marble skin tone;
- abdominal pain;
- complete refusal of any liquid.
Dangerous consequence of diarrhea is dehydration. To prevent this condition, it is necessary to literally drink the baby with a spoon. However, the use of juices or carbonated drinks is prohibited. It is best to use special solutions. You can limit yourself to water, to which sugar and s alt are added.