Since the baby is located and develops in the woman's abdomen during pregnancy, it is not surprising that she may experience pain in this area. During pregnancy, abdominal pain can have a different character and severity. The root cause of these sensations may also vary. In this article, we will understand why pregnant women have a stomach ache and how to deal with it.
Pain in early pregnancy
With the onset of the most pleasant period in a woman's life, there are also moments that can darken it. Most often, at the beginning of bearing a child, women experience various pain sensations. And, of course, they immediately ask themselves the question: "Why do pregnant women have a stomach ache?" The answer to this question will be many different factors and reasons.
Initially, it is worth noting that the pain experienced by a woman at this moment may not beassociated with conception. Specialists in this case speak of non-obstetric pain. These are the symptoms that do not relate to the reproductive system of a woman, but affect her other organs and indicate the presence of pathology.
However, there are obstetric pains that are directly related to conception. They may occur due to the physiological characteristics of the body, and may indicate an ectopic pregnancy or a threatened miscarriage.
Character of pain
Before answering the question why a pregnant girl has a stomach ache, you need to figure out how it hurts. This is of great importance in determining the cause of pain. So, the nature of the pain experienced by a woman can be as follows:
- pulling, unstable, weak intensity - this indicates that the muscles that hold the uterus begin to stretch, and the localization of sensations can be both on one side and throughout the abdomen;
- spastic, constant, non-intense - such pain occurs against the background of hormonal changes in the body;
- spasmodic, of low intensity, with a small amount of blood mixed in the secretions - this pain should not be regarded as the beginning of menstruation, it means that the fetal egg has attached to the wall of the uterus and has already begun its development, this phenomenon is called "implantation bleeding", however, if it lasts more than a day, this indicates a threat of interruption, a miscarriage or the onset of menstruation;
- fickle, pulling, wavy - give chronic inflammatory diseases of the internalorgans (cystitis, adnexitis, pyelonephritis, etc.), it is worth remembering that exacerbation of chronic diseases of this kind is never accompanied by bleeding;
- Pain syndrome can be caused by intestinal disorders, accompanied by constipation and gas formation.
The nature of the pain can be very intense, which makes you wonder why pregnant women have a lot of stomach pain, what this could mean. Severe pain, especially if it is accompanied by spotting, may indicate an ectopic pregnancy. In the event of its occurrence, the fetal egg is not fixed in the uterus, as it should be, but in the fallopian tube. Developing, the fetus grows and this can lead to a rupture of the pipe and threaten the death of the woman.
Pain in ectopic pregnancy will have the following features:
- pain of a stabbing nature, penetrating the entire abdomen;
- pain paroxysmal, like contractions, strong and frequent;
- accompanied by bleeding or brown discharge (the color depends on whether the fallopian tube has ruptured or it has just torn);
- comorbid symptom may be back spasms;
- duration of pain - from several days to a month.
Another reason why it hurts in the lower abdomen of a pregnant woman is a spontaneous abortion, that is, a miscarriage. In this case, the woman will experience strong pullingpain in the groin, they can give to the lower back. Bloody discharge is also observed. If this happens, then you need to urgently call an ambulance and take a horizontal position before it arrives.
If incomprehensible pieces or clots began to come out with the blood, then this indicates that the miscarriage has already happened. In this case, it is still necessary to visit a gynecologist to determine whether the fetal egg has completely come out or not. Its residues can cause purulent and inflammatory processes in a woman's body.
The most common reason why pregnant women have a stomach ache is also considered a miscarriage. During the 1st trimester, the development of the fetus, for various reasons, may stop. As a result, he dies. In this case, a feeling of heaviness in the groin is added to the painful sensations.
After some time, the dead fetus begins to rot, which is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- bad smell from a woman's vagina;
- painful condition in the lower abdomen.
All this suggests that the uterus itself is trying to expel the dead fetus. If you ignore this, then septic intoxication may develop. It is very dangerous for the life and he alth of a woman.
In this situation, the only option is to remove the dead embryo. But if this is done on time, then it will be possible to avoid undesirable consequences and in the future the woman can again become pregnant and bear a child.
Physiological causes of pain in the later stagespregnancy
Why do pregnant women have pain in the lower abdomen in late pregnancy, the question is quite frequent. There can be many reasons. For example:
- Disturbances in the work of the intestines - this is constipation, and increased gas formation, and violations of the diet, and eating schedule. All this causes discomfort in the lower abdomen. The intestines during pregnancy are not so sweet, because the growing uterus presses on it. And also the action of hormones makes his work sluggish, food moves slowly, causing constipation. If a woman, in addition to all this, neglects the basic rules of nutrition, then the pain caused by intestinal problems will be permanent.
- Training ligaments are one of the main causes of pain. It is already difficult for the ligaments to support the grown uterus, therefore, the closer the moment of childbirth, the more often the stomach can hurt and ache. Such pains are also characterized by radiating to the lower back and aggravated by sudden movements, coughing or sneezing.
- Tension of the abdominal muscles is also due to the growth of the uterus and fetus.
Pathological conditions in the later stages
In the last months of pregnancy, abdominal pain can also mean the development of any pathological conditions that threaten the mother and child. It could be:
- Exacerbation of chronic inflammatory processes. They can be localized in the pancreas (pancreatitis), kidneys (pyelonephritis) or bladder (cystitis). The nature of the pain in this case will besharp, long and oppressive. Very often, in addition to pain, there is an increase in body temperature, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness.
- Premature birth. In this case, the pain will be pulling, aching, passing into the lower back. Also, this process is accompanied by a change in the nature of the secretions: they become watery or, conversely, viscous, pinkish, scarlet or streaked with blood. All this indicates the discharge of the mucous plug, the opening of the cervix and the possible leakage of amniotic fluid.
- Placental abruption. Normally, it comes out after the birth of a child, so its premature detachment is fraught with the death of both the mother and the fetus. This is where urgent surgery is needed. This is usually accompanied by severe pain and bleeding. Causes may include abdominal trauma, physical overexertion, late toxicosis and hypertension.
- Rupture of the uterus. Occurs when there is a scar on it from abdominal surgery or caesarean section in the past.
Pain in the upper abdomen
Painful sensations can occur not only in the groin area, but also affect other parts of the peritoneum. Let's figure out why a pregnant woman's upper abdomen hurts.
The growing uterus puts pressure not only on the organs that lie below, but also on those located above. In particular, the liver and gallbladder are affected, which can cause pain.
When the baby is already big enough in the womb that the mother can feel it, this can also cause pain. They depend on whatthe position of the fetus in the uterine cavity. The activity of the fetus can also cause discomfort to the mother. In addition, it may also be accompanied by lack of appetite, heaviness, bloating, bitterness in the mouth and heartburn.
What if it's appendicitis?
During childbearing increases the risk of inflammation of the appendix. For the same reason, many are wondering why does a pregnant woman have pain on the right side of her abdomen? Could it be appendicitis? You should not immediately sin on the appendix, it may not have anything to do with it. For example, if sensations arose in the early stages, then this may only mean that the embryo has attached on the right side. However, a completely different picture will be in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
To distinguish appendicitis from other causes, you need to pay attention to accompanying symptoms:
- increased pain with tension in the abdominal muscles;
- nausea, vomiting;
What to do?
Together with the question why pregnant women have a stomach ache, many people wonder what to do in such a situation? The best option would be to see a doctor. He will diagnose the condition and determine the set of necessary measures. It is important that a pregnant woman does not wind herself up and assume the worst of the options. Modern medicine can do a lot.
You also need to determine what may have caused the pain. If it is not strong, then a possible cause is a gastrointestinal upset, bloating, or the use of a certain product.
It is also important where thepainful sensations and what is their nature. If the pain is pulling, not strong and not prolonged, then most likely you can do without an immediate visit to the doctor. But at a scheduled examination, you still need to report discomfort.
Traditional medicine and proper nutrition
Thinking about why a pregnant woman has pain in her lower abdomen, you should not resort to traditional medicine. During the bearing of a child - this can only harm. Many procedures, if the true cause of pain is not known, can worsen the condition of a woman and, especially, a child.
For a woman in position, it is also important to adhere to proper nutrition. It is recommended to limit the consumption of heavy, fatty, spicy and s alty foods. Excessive consumption of sweet and flour products will also not be beneficial. It is necessary to exclude products that provoke flatulence. Moderate physical activity is necessary for the normal functioning of the digestive tract, so it is highly undesirable to lie down after eating.
When should I see a specialist?
Why pregnant women have a stomach ache, we figured it out. But one more question remains: "When do you need to visit a doctor on an emergency basis, and when can you just be patient?".
If the pain does not cause great inconvenience and disappears, just lie down, then this is just a concomitant symptom of an interesting situation and it should pass soon.
But, if you observe the following, then you need to urgently visit a gynecologist:
- Pain in the form of contractions, tending to increase. Can talk about a miscarriageand you can't slow down here. Perhaps the baby can still be saved.
- Heaviness in the groin. Indirect sign of missed pregnancy.
- Sharp, constant pain, especially if it is localized on one side. May indicate improper attachment of the ovum, and therefore an ectopic pregnancy.
- Bleeding. By the way, it may not be accompanied by discomfort, but normally this should not be.