At about the age of 4-5 months, the baby begins to put everything in his mouth. Most mothers are concerned about this phenomenon, since many bacteria and viruses can live on a variety of objects. In addition, there is a risk of accidentally swallowing small parts. Why this happens and when children stop putting everything in their mouths, we will consider in the article.
Interest in the world around the baby occurs at 2-3 months after his birth. At the age of 4-5 months, the baby begins to realize the work of his pens and their capabilities. After that, the baby tries to understand how they work, so he sends them to the study in his mouth. Then, almost all objects that are within reach are used: toys, clothes, mother's body parts.
It is important to understand that this is a normal stage in life that all children go through. The task of parents is to create a safe environment for the child. To the kidkeep small parts or sharp-edged objects out of the way Toys your baby plays with should always be kept clean.
Before we move on to the issue of when babies stop putting things in their mouths, it is necessary to consider the consequences that can occur.
Anything that fits perfectly in a baby's mouth can get into it. It is important to understand that such a period of development is accompanied by increased danger. What it is:
- Baby can put things in his mouth that are not meant to be eaten and then swallow them. It's not so scary if it's just a piece of paper. But there is a danger that the baby may swallow a small battery, a needle or drink dishwashing detergent.
- Child year - everything pulls in his mouth. During the active development of the sucking reflex, children tend to lick doorknobs, bus rails and other things that are teeming with bacteria. Remember that all objects around you can be sources of viruses, which can be difficult for even an adult organism to cope with.
But, the danger lies not only in swallowing objects, but also in the possibility of accidentally inhaling a small part or object.
Until what age does a child put everything in their mouth?
Most adults believe that such behavior is unacceptable for crumbs. But it's not! This way of knowing the world around is inherent in the child by nature itself. The fact is that at an early stage of development, the tongue, mouth and eyesare the only tools for getting to know a variety of subjects. This period of learning lasts on average up to 13–15 months.
How to wean a child to put everything in his mouth?
Experts give the following advice:
- Prohibit your baby from putting things in his mouth that are not food. Do not be lazy to remind him of this regularly if you see another attempt to put a toy in his mouth.
- Dad and grandparents should also take an active part in such bans.
- Try to always play with your child. If he finds some small details, then tell him about them in detail so that he does not have the desire to explore them with the help of language.
- If your baby puts the TV remote control or soap in his mouth while bathing, then show him what to do with these things.
- Don't yell at your child's hands when they pull things out of their hands. Try to carefully pick up the item, and then explain what it is for. Remember that even an eight-month-old baby is able to understand words and their meaning.
When do babies stop putting things in their mouths? Very often, babies who are just starting to erupt teeth try to just scratch their gums. Therefore, they can drag fingers, their clothes and other objects that come to hand into their mouths. The task of parents is to provide the baby with everything necessary for this period.
Today in the children's departments of stores you can find a lota variety of teethers, rubber rings and other items that help the baby cope with discomfort in the mouth. If you don't feel good about this solution, get some baby pain relief gel.
Mistakes in the actions of parents
Children tend to imitate their parents. Therefore, before scolding the baby, analyze your actions and deeds:
- Don't eat food that has fallen on the floor. Defiantly pick it up and throw it in the trash.
- Try not to use a toothpick or floss in front of your child. Also, do not open the package of nuts or sweets with your teeth. If you chew on a pencil or pen, then try to get rid of such a bad habit.
- Put things in their places so that the child cannot reach them.
When to worry?
Classes for children 2-3 years old in the form of drawing or modeling often lead to the fact that the child begins to chew on pencils or put plasticine in his mouth in order to taste it. Some parents consider this an absolute norm. But if your child is over 3 years old, and he continues to put various objects in his mouth, you should think:
- When a toddler over three years of age chews on pencils, it may be a stress response.
- If your child puts sand, crayons, or metal objects in their mouth, it could be a symptom of anemia.
- When do babies stop putting things in their mouths? After 1, 1-2 years. But importantunderstand that much depends on the individual characteristics of the baby. If the child continues to put everything in his mouth after three years, then the sensitivity functions of the hearing, smell and touch organs should be checked. This is necessary in order to rule out possible problems.
Unfortunately, these symptoms can occur in children with mental disorders, as they are unable to control their actions.
Watch your children, contact specialists in a timely manner, be he althy!