2023 Author: Priscilla Miln | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-31 00:57
The discharge of a newborn from the hospital is an important event in the life of a young family and its close relatives. Everyone is looking forward to meeting a new family member, they are worried and try to organize a meeting in a worthy manner. In order for the discharge to be remembered for many years and passed without fuss, it is necessary to carefully prepare for it.
When will I be discharged
Any young mother after an exciting birth wants to be home with her baby as soon as possible. But the maternity hospital has strict rules that determine the timing of the discharge of a newborn from the maternity hospital. Usually, a woman in labor is discharged 3-4 days after birth. But there are times when a joyful event can be postponed for a longer period.
The factors that determine the length of stay of the mother and the newborn in the maternity hospital are as follows:
- mode of delivery (natural or caesarean delivery)sections were giving birth);
- presence/absence of complications;
- he alth status of woman and child.
If there are no complications, then a young mother with a baby will leave the walls of the hospital in the shortest possible time. But if a woman underwent a caesarean section or certain complications arose during childbirth, then the discharge is postponed for 7 days or more. There are cases when a newborn, after being discharged from the mother's maternity hospital, remains in the hospital. This happens when a neonatologist (pediatrician who deals with newborns) detects any abnormalities in the crumbs. If not everything is in order with the he alth of the woman in labor, the baby remains with her to wait for the full recovery of the mother. The final decision on discharge is made by the obstetrician-gynecologist and neonatologist.
Indications for discharge
Before the expected discharge date, a young mother and baby are examined by a doctor. The indications for which a woman in labor will be allowed to be discharged are as follows:
- the general condition of the woman is satisfactory;
- womb shrinks normally;
- corresponding tests are beyond doubt;
- Ultrasound showed no remnants of placental parts and large blood clots.
The baby is also undergoing a certain examination. Factors that do not allow newborns to be discharged from the hospital are as follows:
- presence of an infectious or viral disease;
- more than eight percent weight loss;
- jaundice occurs with changes in analyzes and is accompanied by bouts of vomiting;
- diagnosing prematurity;
- detection of serious pathologies and developmental disorders.
If all indicators are normal, mother and baby are being prepared for discharge. It is usually scheduled for the afternoon, when all the paperwork and test results are ready.
When a woman in labor is discharged from the maternity hospital, she is given a package of documents necessary for the registry office, children's clinic and antenatal clinic.
A certificate of birth of a child is provided to the registry office, where the name of the mother is indicated. In the registry office, the baby is registered and a birth certificate is issued.
Documents for a newborn at discharge from the hospital, provided to the district pediatrician, are as follows:
- A statement of the baby's he alth, which provides information about the baby's body weight at the time of birth and at discharge, the Apgar score, all test results, information about the vaccinations given and the general condition of the child. This information is entered into the child's outpatient card.
- Birth certificate, which every expectant mother receives after 30 weeks of pregnancy. One coupon remains in the maternity hospital, and the remaining two are given to the woman in labor. This document gives the baby the right to free examinations at a local clinic for up to 12 months from the date of birth.
Documentation provided to new mothers is:
- exchange card;
- an extract on the course of childbirth and the general condition of the woman;
- sick leave (if there are complications).
All of the above documents are newly mintedparents are issued in the maternity hospital. They must be submitted to the polyclinic at the place of residence within three days from the date of discharge.
Things for baby and mother to be discharged
It is better to collect all the necessary things for discharge in advance. Some women go to the hospital with two bags - for themselves and for the baby. You can make a list and have your husband or close relatives prepare everything you need for discharge.
List of necessary things for the baby:
- pacifier and formula bottle (if newborn is bottle-fed);
- water or mixture;
- wet wipes;
- clothes for a newborn to be discharged from the hospital, corresponding to the season;
- beautiful envelope or blanket with a bow;
- car seat.
List of things for mom:
- outerwear and underwear;
- comfortable shoes;
- cosmetic bag;
- personal hygiene items (sanitary pads and comb);
- postpartum bandage.
Tips for choosing clothes for a newborn
Young parents should take a very responsible approach to the choice of clothes for a newborn for discharge. This will be the first baby costume that will cover his delicate skin and help him adapt to the external conditions of the new world for him.
Useful tips for choosing clothes for your baby are as follows:
- It is better to give preference to natural fabrics of calm tones (white, pink, yellowish, blue andetc.). Bright fabrics may contain dyes that will irritate the baby's skin.
- Seams must be outside.
- All tags, price tags and protruding threads must be cut off.
- Clasps should be comfortable.
- Clothing size should be appropriate for height (for a newborn, this is approximately 52-56 cm).
- Hats must be tied. It is better to purchase several pieces at once, with a smaller head volume and with a large one (approximate head circumference of a newborn is 35 cm).
- It is necessary to take into account the weather conditions on the day of discharge (air temperature, precipitation, wind).
All things from the set to the maternity hospital for a newborn for discharge must be washed in advance with a special baby powder and ironed from the wrong side. It should be remembered that the mother gets dressed first, and then the baby. Ideal when a newborn is dressed by medical staff.
To discharge a newborn from the maternity hospital in the summer, you need to purchase a light beautiful blanket with a bow or a thin envelope (the color corresponding to the baby's gender). Traditionally, pink colors are chosen for girls, and blue or light green for boys. The bandage should not be too short. The ideal length is three meters. Clothes for discharge should correspond to weather conditions, be beautiful and elegant. An approximate list of things in the summer season is as follows:
- thin cap with strings;
- body or vest, sliders;
Whentemperature of +10 °C, you can wrap the baby in a warm blanket or a slightly insulated envelope. And at +20 ° C, a light fleece blanket or a thin envelope will be an excellent option. It should be remembered that a newborn child needs to wear one layer more than an adult. But you can’t wrap it too much, as you can overheat the baby, which will negatively affect his well-being.
Discharge in autumn and spring
The set of baby clothes for the spring and autumn months is different from the clothes for the discharge of a newborn from the maternity hospital in the summer. At this time, the weather is changeable, strong winds blow and precipitation is more frequent. For babies, you can purchase insulated blankets and envelopes with a warm lining for discharge. It is better to buy them after the growth of the child is known. All things should completely cover the legs and arms of the baby in order to prevent hypothermia. For spring or autumn discharge of a newborn from a maternity hospital, you will need:
- vest, romper or one-piece cotton overalls;
- insulated items on fleece or terry overalls;
- two hats: one thin, the other insulated;
- warm socks and scratches.
Spring and autumn weather can meet a mother with a baby both warm and cold. Therefore, it is better to prepare several sets for discharge.
Discharge during wintertime
To discharge a newborn from the hospital in winter, you will need even more clothes. But you should not be too zealous, because usually young parents go home by car at this time. Sample list of itemswinter discharge of the baby from the maternity hospital is as follows:
- vest, romper (overalls) and diaper;
- insulated (terry) jumpsuit;
- a warm sheepskin or fur-lined envelope, winter overalls or a quilt;
- two hats (thin and warm);
- warm socks and mittens.
How to get ready for mom
It is important for a young mother to prepare herself for discharge. A woman needs to find out the requirements for clothes and shoes after childbirth. It should be remembered that the size of clothes has increased by 1-2 numbers, so it is better to buy things that are looser. An ideal option would be clothing made from organic cotton. You can give preference to a comfortable sporty style. It is combined with comfortable shoes, and the woman will feel comfortable. No need to give up cosmetics and jewelry. There is usually a photographer on the statement, so it will be better if the young parents are not only happy, but also beautiful in the photo.
How the discharge will take place largely depends on the desire of the newly-made parents. It can be a modest meeting with a limited number of people, or it can be a noisy celebration with balloons, photography and photographers. Before discharge, the medical staff talks with the woman about how to care for herself and the baby in the postpartum period. The mother is then taken to a special room where she gets ready and dresses. The baby is usually prepared for discharge by a he alth worker. The first photo shoot in my life can already begin herechild. After the mother and baby are ready, they are taken out to those who meet them, the baby is solemnly handed over to the father or grandfather, photographed, flowers are given to the mother and gifts to the medical staff. On average, an extract will take 30 minutes (no more).
What can be discharge gifts
Such an important event involves gifts and flowers not only for the woman and the baby, but also for the doctors of the maternity hospital. Usually these are flowers, sweets, cakes or high-quality alcoholic drinks. But the choice of gifts for newly-made parents and the baby is quite extensive. The most common gift options for discharge from the hospital are as follows:
- baby monitor, sterilizers, breast pumps;
- sets for newborns to be discharged from the hospital (diaper cakes, sets of baby cosmetics, sets of baby underwear and towels, etc.);
An excellent gift option for a young mother would be a gym membership, a beauty salon or a certificate for the purchase of children's goods.
How to meet a wife from the hospital
Most of all the worries and experiences are experienced by a young father. He bears the burden of responsibility for preparing the house for the arrival of his wife and baby. In addition to taking care of flowers and gifts, you should put in order the apartment in which the new family member will live. The young dad must prepare the room and purchase items for the care of the baby. The list of things needed after a newborn baby is discharged from the hospital is as follows:
- bath, ladle and waterthermometer;
- changing table;
- baby soap, foam and shampoo;
- two oilcloths (one in the crib, the other on the changing table);
- potassium permanganate;
- baby first aid kit;
- wet wipes;
- pacifiers, bottles and sterilizer.
You should also equip a place where essentials will be placed. Before the date of the proposed discharge, the apartment should be thoroughly cleaned and wet cleaned. In advance, you should take care of gifts, flowers for your wife and medical staff, as well as treats for guests.
To make the discharge of a newborn from the hospital an unforgettable event, you need to think carefully and use your imagination. Then it will become a bright moment and will be remembered for a lifetime.