Pregnancy is not only a wonderful period of waiting for a miracle for a woman, but also a huge stress for her body. All organs and systems begin to work for two. They are under heavy stress, especially if the expectant mother is expecting twins or triplets.
The greatest blow is directed to the kidneys. They have a responsible and difficult task - to remove fluid from the body, the amount of which only increases every month. If the organs fail to work or imperfectly perform the functions assigned to them, the woman begins to suffer from edema. Therefore, the accumulation of excess fluid is a problem that expectant mothers often face. In this situation, the doctor may prescribe diuretics during pregnancy. Which ones are safe to drink and which ones are not? Let's figure it out.
A woman who is expecting a baby is often prescribed diuretics by gynecologists. With edema during pregnancy, you can only drinkherbal preparations. These include:
- "Eufillin". The main contraindications are low blood pressure, heart problems, epilepsy. If you drink the medicine before meals, the work of the gastrointestinal tract may be disrupted. In the same situation, the expectant mother may feel dizzy. Therefore, it is better not to take it on an empty stomach.
- "Canephron". It contains lovage root, as well as rosemary leaves and centaury herb. The drug has an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic effect. It is produced in the form of drops and tablets. The second option is more suitable for pregnant women, as the first may contain alcohol in small doses.
- "Phytolysin". Ingredients: sage and orange oil, couch grass root, birch leaves, parsley and pine extract, horsetail herb. The drug is approved for use only if there are no inflammatory processes in the pregnant woman's body.
Natural Diuretic Drinks
The use of diuretics during pregnancy, even if they are of plant origin, is still undesirable. Therefore, if it is possible to do without them, then it is better to do it.
At the same time, to avoid puffiness, it is better to completely eliminate s alt from the diet. In addition, you can get rid of the problem with decoctions: horsetail, bearberry leaves, birch buds. It should be remembered that even seemingly harmless herbs during pregnancy can cause irreparable harm. So,juniper fruits, strawberries and parsley root cause uterine contractions, thereby provoking a miscarriage. In any situation, it is better to consult a doctor.
Many pregnant women resort to diuretic teas. But, according to many gynecologists, it is better to refrain from them. Such drinks often disrupt the water-s alt metabolism and acid-base balance, removing vitamins and microelements necessary for the development of the fetus from the body.
Natural products are better to replace any diuretics during pregnancy. In the later stages, it is better to eat more vegetables. They not only serve as a prevention of puffiness, but also protect the pregnant woman from gaining excess weight, which often happens in the third trimester. Being watery, vegetables cause frequent urination. First of all, they have such an effect:
- Tomatoes. In addition to diuretic, they are famous for their antimicrobial properties. Contains many antioxidants.
- Cucumbers. They improve digestion due to the presence of a large amount of fiber. Their diuretic action is very mild.
- Carrots. Not only prevents the formation of edema, but also has a laxative effect. Serves as a preventive measure for the formation of sand and stones in the bladder.
- Pumpkin. Its juice has laxative, choleretic and diuretic properties.
Another approved diuretic during pregnancy. However, fruits must be treated withcaution. Many of them contain a lot of water. As a result, their abuse often leads to a decrease in sodium levels in the blood.
Excellent diuretics include the following fruits: dried apricots and apples. The latter are very useful in anemia. Among exotic options, pay attention to coconut, papaya, mango.
Fruit is one of the safest diuretics for pregnant women: they are very rich in minerals and vitamins, compensating for nutrient deficiencies associated with diuresis.
They are not only tasty, but also he althy. Diuretic properties are, for example, rowan, lingonberry, cranberry, blackberry, watermelon, viburnum. The latter is most often advised to expectant mothers. But women should take it carefully. Despite the positive properties of viburnum decoction, strengthening and toning the body, it increases the tone of the uterus, creating a threat of premature birth. Therefore, in the later stages, it is better to refrain from drinking.
Other diuretics during pregnancy, even if they are simple berries, can also pose a threat to a woman's he alth. For example, a decoction of lingonberry leaves does an excellent job with edema. At the same time, such a drink is contraindicated if urates, s alts of uric acid, are found in the urine. In addition, pregnant women suffering from hypotension are not recommended to drink lingonberry decoction, as it further lowers blood pressure.
Cereals and herbs
What else can youuse diuretics during late pregnancy? Doctors draw women's attention to herbs - they are very strong diuretics. Unfortunately, herbs are also the most dangerous for expectant mothers. This is because they do not contain useful substances in their composition, therefore they cannot replenish the lack of minerals and vitamins in the body. Most often, with swelling, women lose ascorbic acid and potassium. They need to be replenished with other natural medicines.
Chamomile, oats and chicory are considered the best diuretics. You can drink caffeinated drinks in small quantities. For example, coffee and green tea are relatively safe diuretics. The liquid in their composition compensates for the water balance without leading to dehydration. However, these drinks should not be abused.
Drinks with a diuretic effect
As we have already seen, vegetables, fruits, and even cereals can act as natural diuretics during pregnancy. In addition, doctors recommend that women drink fluids that have a similar effect:
- Infusions of medicinal herbs. These are a variety of fees sold in pharmacies. They may include the following components: wild rose, black currant, strawberry, lingonberry, birch, flax. Infusions are best drunk in the afternoon. You can use them only after consulting a gynecologist.
- Vegetable juices. Very effective drinks made from parsley and celery. In addition, juice from green cucumbers, carrots helpsand beets.
- Sour fruit drinks. This includes citrus juices and cranberry fruit drinks. They also relieve the expectant mother of heartburn.
Help of traditional medicine
Dill seeds are often advised to drink for women, as this decoction is an excellent diuretic during pregnancy. The 3rd trimester is the most insidious in terms of edema, so many expectant mothers should be prepared to deal with excess fluid in the body. To do this, they need to brew dill seeds, insist a little and take on an empty stomach. But consultation with a gynecologist is also necessary in this case, since this plant can provoke uterine contractions.
Surprisingly, in the fight against puffiness, ordinary beans are very effective. You need to take 40 grams of crushed sashes and pour them with a liter of cold water. The drink is infused all night, after which it is filtered and drunk 3-4 times a day in a glass.
What diuretics can I take during pregnancy? Expectant mothers are allowed to take only medicines from natural raw materials. Healing decoctions and drinks can be made at home:
- Pour a liter of boiling water over a tablespoon of dried apple peel. Insist 10-15 minutes. Drink half a glass of liquid five times a day.
- Take one and a half cups of boiling water and pour 15 grams of dry blackberry root into it. Take a decoction half an hour before meals for ½ cup.
- Birch leaves finely chopped. You will need no more than two teaspoons of dry raw materials, which must be poureda glass of boiling water. We insist the broth for half an hour, after which we add baking soda to it at the tip of the knife. It is necessary to drink the medicine every four hours, one teaspoon. By the way, ordinary birch sap is also effective in the fight against edema.
This is not all natural diuretic medicine for pregnant women. To choose the remedy that is right for you, you need to consult a doctor. Only a qualified gynecologist is able to assess all the risks and prescribe competent treatment.